Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P7000 direct connect cable pinout help please

What is the pinout for the cable used to connect the P70360 stepper drive to the UMI-7774?

The cable hooks up the high density D-sub 26 pin Command I/O on the P70360 stepper drive and the DB15 Control connection on the UMI-7774.

This cable is refered to as the P7000 direct connect cable in the pdf file at link http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372324b.pdf.  The NI part number of this cable is 198141-2R5 if this helps anyone.

I ordered three of these cables but it is over a 3 week lead time and I need a solution quick.  I just need to fabricate a cable up to write and test my code until I get the actual cable.

Thanks in advance for any help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(8,619 Views)
Hi,

here is the pinout:

I have informed motion control R&D about this missing piece of information.

Kind regards,

Jochen Klier
National Instruments

Message Edited by Jochen on 03-10-2008 10:45 AM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(8,606 Views)

But this is only one side pinout.

How exactly HDB26M connected with DB15M ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(7,914 Views)

Hi Jochen Klier, National Instruments: did you get a reply from R&D on how to crossconnect the HDB26M connected with DB15M? I need to connect my NI 9512 to a p7060.... Thx

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(7,218 Views)

Hi,

I need to fabricate this P70000 Director Cable as well, as the lead time for the NI cable takes too long.

Can anyone advice the cross-connection between HDB26M connected with DB15M?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(6,904 Views)

This information is listed in each of the manuals.  Here is a link to the P70360 manual, and here is one to the UMI-7774 manual. Here is a picture of this information so you can connect the correct terminals:

Cable Connections.png

Zach C.
Field Engineer
Greater Los Angeles

Message 6 of 18
(6,892 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for posting the separate diagrams. It would also be really helpful to see how they are connected. Since there are a dissimilar number of connections, not all of the J4 pins can be mated... I was speaking with a NI app engr and he said I would not need to connect the low side of the step and dir pairs... Is that true? Is that the condition the Danaher manual (P7000DC Revision A.pdf) describes here "The input circuitry is suitable for use with 5-volt logic (single ended ordifferential). It is best to drive the input to both logic states rather than utilize open collector transistor"?

My original question to the NI engr was about ground. Is Pin J4-9 (GND) connected to one of the digital grounds in the UMI777X or something else?

Thank you for your assistance,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(6,733 Views)

That wording you quoted seems to back up what the applications engineer said.  As far as how to hook these two devices together, I'll look into this in some more depth and get back with you soon.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(6,707 Views)

Sorry to drag up an old thread - but I need to wire a UMI7774 to  3 x P70530 drives and don't want to use the NI cable (my UMI is going to be mounted inside a relatively small enclosure, and about 30 cm from my P70530, 3 x 2.5m cables is a touch overkill!!).

I have the pinouts from each manual, but the cable is not a simple pin to pin correlation (we bought 1 for testing purposes). There are some other things going on in there (pull up/down resistors and I think a diode or two...).

Is there a circuit diagram for the actual cable somewhere as that would really help me out!

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(5,464 Views)

I'm curious is anyone has ever figured this out, as I am running into a similar problem.

thanks

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(4,589 Views)