From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With .NET Core?

In Microsoft's Build 2019, it said .NET Core is the future. So Measurement Studio will move to .NET Core or can be used in .NET Core?

Message 1 of 17
(7,061 Views)

I would also like to see a roadmap on support for .NET Core as it is the future of .NET along with new C#/VB language support.  Any insight from NI teams would be great.  Thx

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(6,717 Views)

DAQ works for me in .NET Core 3.1, but when I try to use TDMS, the NationalInstruments.Common 
assembly blows up.

Portability Analyzer shows a few unsupported methods:

T:System.Web.HttpRequest
M:System.Web.HttpRequest.get_IsLocal
T:System.Web.HttpContext
M:System.Web.HttpContext.get_Current
M:System.Web.HttpContext.get_Request
T:System.Web.HttpRuntime

M:System.Web.HttpRuntime.get_BinDirectory

Otherwise it's flagged as 99.45% compatible (except when you do new TdmsFile()).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(6,642 Views)

@Chris.Dickerson Thanks.  This gives me a few ideas to try.  Hopefully NI can address the few areas you mentioned.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(6,627 Views)

I tried the .NET Portable Analyzer against NationalInstruments.DAQmx DLL and found the following:

Target typeTarget memberHeader for assembly name entries.NET Core + Platform Extensions.NET Core.NET Standard + Platform ExtensionsRecommended changes

T:Microsoft.VisualC.MiscellaneousBitsAttribute T:Microsoft.VisualC.MiscellaneousBitsAttribute NationalInstruments.DAQmx Not supported Not supported Not supported  
T:Microsoft.VisualC.MiscellaneousBitsAttribute M:Microsoft.VisualC.MiscellaneousBitsAttribute.#ctor(System.Int32) NationalInstruments.DAQmx Not supported Not supported Not supported  
T:Microsoft.VisualC.DebugInfoInPDBAttribute T:Microsoft.VisualC.DebugInfoInPDBAttribute NationalInstruments.DAQmx Not supported Not supported Not supported  
T:Microsoft.VisualC.DebugInfoInPDBAttribute M:Microsoft.VisualC.DebugInfoInPDBAttribute.#ctor NationalInstruments.DAQmx Not supported Not supported Not supported  
T:Microsoft.VisualC.DecoratedNameAttribute T:Microsoft.VisualC.DecoratedNameAttribute NationalInstruments.DAQmx Not supported Not supported Not supported  
T:Microsoft.VisualC.DecoratedNameAttribute M:Microsoft.VisualC.DecoratedNameAttribute.#ctor(System.String) NationalInstruments.DAQmx Not supported Not supported Not supported  
T:System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal M:System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetExceptionPointers NationalInstruments.DAQmx Supported: 3.0+ Supported: 3.0+ Not supported  
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(6,598 Views)

I made an inquiry yesterday about this via our support channels.  This is the reply I got from NI:

"Measurement Studio 2019 is not expected to work with .NET Core. NI is currently investigating the best way to support .NET Core across our platform since this impacts more than just MStudio (Drivers, TestStand, etc..). We're working closely with Microsoft and the IVI foundation to ensure we take an approach that considers the long-term health of our products and also compatibility with existing systems. We do not have a detailed roadmap to share at this time."

There is much more at stake here than just Measurement Studio. We also use IVI drivers and TestStand heavily in our automation systems.  I could not find anything on the IVI website regarding plans to support .NET Core.  I tried calling a .NET core module from TestStand 2019 but this would not load (could not load file or assembly System.Runtime Version 4.2.0.0) so assume TestStand 2019 does not currently support .NET core either).

So for now we will be stuck at .NET 4.8 whilst the rest of the world move on with ,NET 5.0 (in effect .NET core) from November 2020.  I would like to see some sort of road map from NI sooner, rather then later so that we can plan the migration of our test systems.

Message 6 of 17
(6,582 Views)

Wanted to chime in again on this hoping the NI support channels are listening.  Understanding this is a complicated topic as it touches various software/products, it would be very helpful if a roadmap would be provided (even if a ways out).

NI recently rebranded and said they going to be transformative, innovative, and focus on customers.  Any updates on future .NET support will be appreciated.

Message 7 of 17
(6,403 Views)

HI, Measurement Studio is missing from NI's software products in the new web site.. Hopefully NI does not stop developing Measurement Studio.. But it is little silent here.

Unbenannt.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(6,228 Views)

So for now we will be stuck at .NET 4.8 whilst the rest of the world move on with ,NET 5.0 (in effect .NET core) from November 2020.  I would like to see some sort of road map from NI sooner, rather then later so that we can plan the migration of our test systems..

.NET CORE is NOT an evolution of .NET Framework.

In fact it was called originally ".NET 5.0" which was a failure in marketing, because people thought that 4.8 --> 5.0 , which was STRAIGHT UP FALSE.

.NET CORE is a DIFFERENT framework, born for different reasons.

For 99% of users here, .NET CORE is basically irrelevant, and its advantages has nothing to deal with testing and production.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(6,125 Views)

I understand that .NET core is a different beast built primarily to support cross-platform deployment. It was first introduced a few years ago and has been developed side-by side with .NET framework, as the functionality available within the current .NET framework was added to .NET core.  Microsoft have indicated that .NET 5.0 will essentially be .NET core technologies and that what we know as the .NET framework will be stalled at release .NET 4.8. In that sense it is an "evolution" to a new programming paradigm (not in the technical sense).

Yes, for 99% of current test and measurement users .NET core is irrelevant now.  We also have concluded that we can continue using .NET 4.8 for the foreseeable future (it will remain supported, just not further developed). However, I know the time will come when that will end and we will need to migrate to the new technology.  Therefore this question was seeking direction from NI on a roadmap for supporting .NET core technologies into the future. 

Message 10 of 17
(6,112 Views)