Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

video processing

Hello everybody,

I am plannig to do a sort of gesture or movement controlled device using a webcam and NI machine Vision for my FYP,

The idea is to use the webcam to continuously capture images or video and process them in real time in order to detect predefined movements, and then send signal based on the processing results,

I want some help regarding the video processing part, I have experience working with Image processing using labVIEW for object detection, OCR and quality control, but i dont have a clear idea about how i can apply this on a video.

Can anybody help me with ideas about possible solutions to detect and differentiate different movements using LabVIEW??

Thanks for your help, 

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,881 Views)

Luckily for you, the NI Vision Development Module 2010 has some new handy dandy features that might suit your needs.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/11638

This new release apparently includes optical flow (or motion estimation). It can track blobs around your image and give you an idea of movement... may be worth checking into!

Cheers,

-Matt S.

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,877 Views)

Thanks Matt, but I am still using LabVIEW 2009, I should have mentioned that in the detailing and it doesn't contain any similar algorithms.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,824 Views)

Falcon

I am also working on somethng very similar. I am able to

movement detection using LV2009. Thast true that 2009

doesnot have optical flow. I am sure we can co-ordinate

on this project and have a better solution. I am still working

on this product to detect objects orobject movement.My e-mail

is yeshwanth.kadire@gmail.com.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,795 Views)

Can you guys keep me posted too? I'm definitely interested in this field, and would love to help where I could. There is also definitely a wealth of knowledge on these boards, I know I lean on them every now and again when I'm having trouble with something.

You can reach me at

matt(dot)slaughter(at)cyth.com

Cheers!

-Matt

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,792 Views)

Thanks Matt and Yesh, sure we can coordinate on this topic, i'll keep you posted with any new improvements.

Best Regards..

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,773 Views)

I was able to detect movement based on a simple algorithm.

I buffered the images and subtracted the old image from the

new image and multplied it with constant gain, and if difference

is greater than threshold we are to able to detect motion. What

algorithm are you using for motion detection.

Also you donot need to have video processing. Use image processing

with minimum delay and it shoudl fairly fast detection, atleast thats what

I think.

If backgrounf is always going to be same then you could also get a

constant background image and subtract that from ned acquired image

and you get movement detection. But this has its limitations.

Yeshwanth 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,756 Views)

I tried the IMAQ subtract and indeed it can detect motion, what i am trying to do is to find a way to know the type of movement that have occured..

I think I'm going to train the program on the predefined moves and then when i subtract the images in the buffer from each other I'll try to compare the result to the results I've already trained using maximum likelihood or something like that..

I posted the question to see if there are better techniques that do not require much training..

Hopefully you'll find this useful in your project. If you have better ideas keep me posted...

Best Regards Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,740 Views)

Hello everybody,

Nice to meet ur guy. I am now doing the color detection on fingers. And i successful to detect the color on my fingers but i unable to make it always allocate the color while i move my hand. Anyone of u have any idea about it? Seem Falcon's FYP thing is almost same with my 1. Would u mind to share it with me. I apologize for my lousy English. If possible let me knew as soon as possible.

Thank You And Best Regard
QY Goh (^.^)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,382 Views)