From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

synchronization of frame grabber and line scan camera

I have a problem of synchronize my frame grabber PcIe 1433 and line scan camera (Basler Sprint 2048-70km). I searched many old threads in this forum and get more confused.

Basically, what I am trying to do is generating a repeated pulse train (16kHz) and a ramp signal (goes up from -3v to +3v for 520 steps and goes down from +3v to -3v for another 20 steps) from the NI DAQ 6211. I need these two signals to be synced. The pulse train will be output and send to the frame grabber via SMB connector while the ramp signal will be sent to a physical scanner  (galvanometer) to drive the scanning.  The pulse train will be the trigger for each line of the camera and the frame grabber. My confusion here is how does the camera communicate with the frame grabber to know the exact trigger (pulse train) I have input from the SMB connector? If it is can be done from software perspective by setting the camera control line, I did so but my frame is keep rolling.

So I searched some old threads. Here's the one I believe trying to solve a very similar problem as I do.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/Trouble-Exporting-Basler-sprint-pixel-clock-to-PCI-1428/td-p...

Basically, the person is asking how to pull out the pixel clock of the line scan camera to sync the frame grabber and the line scan camera. And one of the answer is and I am quoting here: ''I spoke to one of our developers for these boards and he indicated that it is not possible to route the pixel clock on third generation boards (1429/1430/1427/1433/1435 and later). He mentioned that an alternative you could consider is that the framegrabber can create a pulse up to 2MHz and export that on both RTSI and CC0. Hopefully that gives you a workaround".

so is that mean I don't need the DAQ 6211 to generate the pulse train as the trigger, the right way to do it is to use the 1433 itself to generate a pulse train and export the trigger through camera control line to sync the line scan camera ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appropriated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,980 Views)
there some information that you need to know before select the method to sync your camera with other device
1 there is two different possible triggering ,method for camera
one is independent to camera and always is software method in this case you will be sync with delay of frame rate interval time
for example for camera with 30fps you have 33 ms delay in best mode
other method is relate to cameras that have trigger input port in this case based on camera manual you will be had delay time in micro second order
but there is some option to act in camera when they receive trigger pulse
for example start stream, start to get image or snap one image or opening camera
you need to know with type to need for your project
also these type of cameras could send trigger pulse for use other device to be sync
so before start your project you need to know witch range of delay for snyc is acceptable for you if it is in you camera frame rate order in this case you could use first method if not you need more small time limit you have to use camera that have trigger in itself
Message 2 of 3
(2,947 Views)

Hi Penny,

I did this couple of times so I might be able to help.

The most simple way is the way you describe your system. I personally like to trigger the camera from NI high speed counter output. I assume you have IN card that generate the ramp signal. Usually it also has high speed counter on board.

Personal preference of mine is to generate known number of pulses from the high speed counter. But constant pulse train will also work.

What you need to do:

1. Configure your Basler camera in trigger acquisition mode from Paylon.  

2. Configure the frame grabber in your code to work in trigger acquisition mode.

3. Configure the trigger line to input 0.

4. Configure your high speed counter to output on the correct line that is connected to the smb input.

5. Run the camera from labview

Amit Shachaf
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,943 Views)