From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save a picture to an image file and reload it on another computer for image processing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Can I save the picture to an image file, and then reload the file on another computer to do the image processing? What type of image format I should save for this? Is there any image loss if I do this? The machine with camera is sitting in our lab, and I want to test the image processing software on my own computer. So can anyone give some good ideas on this. Thanks,

Jane

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,890 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jane.Yu

I assume you have the vision development module VDM and vision acquisition software VAS on your computer.

So you just have to use the IMAQ Read and IMAQ save functions. bmp, png are good for losless saving contrary to jpg and jpeg2000.

Hope this helps

NTA_LabView_certified_Developper.jpg
Message 2 of 4
(2,882 Views)

How about Tiff file?

Thanks, Jane

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,870 Views)

Hi Jane,

When specifying TIFF in the IMAQ Write File VI it defaults to no compression, which will be lossless. If you were to change the compression to JPEG, however, that would cause it to use the lossy JPEG format. Thus, TIFF can be either lossless or lossy depending on the arguments you feed into the Tiff Options input in the IMAQ Write File VI.

IMAQ_write_file_TIFF.png

IMAQ Write File 2 VI - NI Vision 2010 for LabVIEW Help - National Instruments
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370281M-01/imaqvision/imaq_write_file_2/#IMAQWriteTIFFFile2

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,858 Views)