From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart camera / vision builder data logging

Hi I have Vision Builder 3.5 with a  NI-1722 Smart Camera. I have the inspection working as I need it to but I need to log the failed data. I just can not seem to get this to work. I have attached a couple of photos of the program and hope I can get some suggestion on what I need to do. What I am trying to do is inspect if the light is on and if one of the light do not come on. The data I need is which light did not come on and at what time this occurred. When setting up the data logging Icon I direct it to the folder I want and give it a name but nothing is ever logged. I have been trying to figure this out for about 12 hours now I need some help please. ThanksGerald
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30
(6,784 Views)

Gerald,

Thank you for using our forums!

It seems that you are trying to Log to Local Drive - where the local drive is your target, presumably your smart camera. If you want to save it to your PC, then try Log to FTP Server. Else, if you want to log to your smart camera, choose a directory that exists on the camera, and save the logs there.

Does this help?

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 30
(6,749 Views)
And if this doesn't work, please give more detail of what is happening - i.e. an error number, a dialog that pops up...
--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30
(6,748 Views)
Thanks MichelleI have tried to use the Log to local drive and direct it to a file on the hard drive but it never does. I have tried different settings to no avail. I have search to try and figure out what I need to do to set up a FTP server to log to and that would be nice because the only option I am getting to log a image is to use FTP Server. If you could give me a clue on this I would be happy to try it. If I could get the log to Log to local drive to work I would use it. Either way I don’t care. Any help would be appreciated I need to get this to work somehow because I need to start the testing soon.ThanksGerald

Message Edited by antique on 08-28-2008 09:49 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 30
(6,736 Views)

Forgot to mention that I am getting no errors. I act like it is working but it just does not log anything. I have searched to the file on the hard drive but find nothing. If it is logging to the camera is there a way to extract that data?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 30
(6,732 Views)

This is to check that you can data log to your PC with your PC as a Target:

1. Open VBAI, choose  This Computer on the drop-down for Exection Target

2. Click Configure Inspection

3. Add Simulate Acquisition Step, click OK.

4. Add a Data Logging Step:

5. In the destination Tab, set local path to C:\. (Make sure Log Location is local drive)

6. Fill in a File Name

7. Click OK

8. Run the inspection once

Check that the txt file shows up in your C:\ and that you can open it.

Does this work?

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30
(6,717 Views)

Well the menu has This computer Grayed out. What next? I have attached a photo.

Thanks

Gerald

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30
(6,715 Views)
If I select Smart Camera Emulator on the drop down menu I can log data but not images.  Maybe this will give another clue. 
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30
(6,719 Views)

It appears that you have the VBAI version for your Smart Camera only, not for development on your PC. You will not be able to test my previous post. I apologize for the confusion.

What you can do is setup a FTP server on your local machine. With the server running you can setup the Data Logging step to save files to that server. So, instead of choosing to Log to Local Drive, choose Log to FTP Server. Fill in IPAddress, User Name, and Password and test the login.

Does this work for you?

Message Edited by Michelle_B on 09-02-2008 11:19 AM
--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30
(6,664 Views)

Sorry for the stupid question but do I need to install FTP Server software to get this to work or how do I go about setting up a server on this PC? If I need to install software which should I install?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 30
(6,661 Views)