From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart camera / vision builder data logging

Hi Olivia,

I refer to the local drive on the SmartCamera. I the meantime (I updated VBAI and the SmartCamera FW from 3.6 to 3.6.1) I found out the following: Performing the inspection directly using VBAI the result log file isn't created as described, but if I control VBAI remotely using ActiveX (controlled by LabVIEW 7.1.1) the result file is created regularly.

Is there still a bug in VBAI ?

And there's another thing that looks like a bug: Studying the result log file I noticed the date written into being the 1.1.1970. I found no way in VBAI to synchronize the SmartCamera clock with the PC clock; the only way is to use a Time Server. So I tried to set the date/time using the corresponding ActiveX command NIVBAITargetControl -> SetDateTime controlled by LabVIEW 7.1.1. This let the SmartCamera Firmware crash completely, and I was forced to enter the safe mode via Dip Switch and to reinstall the firmware. What could this be?

And finally, a question: In the readme file shipped with VBAI is written: "To use the Vision Builder ActiveX component from LabVIEW, you MUST use LabVIEW 8.2 or later". Why that? An ActiveX interface should be independent from the environment used.

Carsten
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 30
(2,482 Views)

Hi Carsten,

There is not a bug in VBAI. You should be able to create a log file on the SmartCamera using the data logging step. Have you tried to data logging with a very simple inspection (one with only one or two steps)? Judging from your screenshots, you have the correct configuration for the data logging step. When checking to see if a file has been created, you may need to refresh the page a few times to see the file in its folder. 

As for the date, you need to synchronize the Smart Camera to a SNTP Time Server. You can configure this either in MAX (under Network Settings) or in VBAI (under Target»Target Options). The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has a network of public time servers that you can use.

Finally, we tell customers to use LabVIEW 8.2 or later if they plan on using ActiveX because we haven't fully tested it on our older versions of LabVIEW. This does not mean you cannot try but we do not officially support this and if you come across certain issues, we may not be able to help.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 30
(2,451 Views)

Hi Olivia,

I'm sorry, but it is still a fact that no log file is created when performing an inspection directly in VBAI, and that it is created using ActiveX remote controlling (both verified by an FTP client connected to the SmartCamera).

Referring to time synchronization: Of course I can use an SNTP server for synchronization; but there is also a corresponding ActiveX method to set and to get the date and time which has a strange behaviour as described. Beside this it sets or returns a wrong time: 1 day (!) and one hour (this is due to the time zone I think) more than expected. So if I start the SmartCamera, it returns not January 1st 1970 00:00 as date/time, but January 2nd 1970 01:00, and this using both methods GetDateTime and GetDateTimeUTC (Seconds since 1.1.1970 00:00).

Carsten
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 30
(2,440 Views)

Hi Carsten,

I will let R&D know about this but in the mean time, I would suggest that you use a SNTP server for synchronization.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 30
(2,419 Views)

Hai sir.Im also having the same query.Did you got solution

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 30
(1,337 Views)

Hi Saccu,

This forum has two different questions. I recommend creating a new one if you want the right visibility to your question. 

Also, you should specify which problem are you having, otherwise, it is difficult to give you an answer. 

Warm Regards,

Enhernan

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 30
(1,327 Views)

I'm using currently LabVIEW nxg 2.1.  In that IP camera (1774) is not detected.

I had installed vision acquisition software.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 30
(1,324 Views)

Do you have the right drivers installed?

Which version of the Vision Acquisition software did you installed?

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 30
(1,313 Views)

Sir currently I decided to do inspection in vision builder software. Can you tell me is it possible to save Overlay data in .txt or .csv csv 

Note : Im writing my inspected data in overlay.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 30
(1,300 Views)

Hi,

As EnHernan suggested above, there are two different questions in this forum (that is almost 10 years old). To get the right visibility, please post your question in a new thread with details of your issue.

Best,

Jacob C.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 30
(1,256 Views)