From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Run-Time Shortcut Menu

OK, more on the non-standard behavior of Image Controls (in LV 2009 SP1 at least)...

Having had to deal with the fact that one cannot detect a user right click in an Image Control, I figured that maybe I could at least build my own shortcut menu (the one that pops up when you right-click on an object). Not such luck without loosing some functionalities.

If you do so, you loose most items that are available by default at runtime (these are called the application items for any other controls):

- Palette

- Save Image...

- Clear ROI

- Zoom to Fit

I could rebuild all these functionalities in my custom menu, but:

1) why should I have to do that?

2) why do the items above not appear when one opens the default run-time shortcut menu? They do appear at run-time!

3) why do ALL other shortcut menu items available at edit time (some of which could be handy at run-time) not appear when one opens the default run-time shortcut menu?

4) At run-time, none of the menu items listed above are returned in the event structure when polling the Shortcut Menu Selection events (either App or User). Why????

Thanks for reading.

Message 1 of 21
(6,275 Views)

Hi Xavier,

Are you using the IMAQ Image Control in the LabVIEW development environment or in a built executable?

Thanks,

- Greg J

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(6,246 Views)

development only so far.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(6,237 Views)

2) why do the items above not appear when one opens the default run-time shortcut menu? They do appear at run-time!

3) why do ALL other shortcut menu items available at edit time (some of which could be handy at run-time) not appear when one opens the default run-time shortcut menu?

4) At run-time, none of the menu items listed above are returned in the event structure when polling the Shortcut Menu Selection events (either App or User). Why????

Thanks for reading.

I'm not sure I understand #2.

#3 is not a bug, but simply not yet a supported feature.  The closest related CAR is #148616 dealing with the even further limitation of the shortcut menu when the IMAQ Image Control is built into an executable.

#4 occurs because only the menu items listed here (Application Item Tags for Shortcut Menus) will trigger an App event.  While also not a bug, this is being looked into directly with CAR #37900

I hope this helps!

- Greg J

Message 4 of 21
(6,213 Views)

Hi Greg,

thanks for digging up all these CAR numbers...

#2 means the following: when you do not modify anything to the runtime shortcut menu of an image control, right-clicking on the image at runtime provides access to a number of actions (those I listed). Therefore I am expecting that when I am about to modify the runtime shortcut menu, those items would appear in the original list of APP menu items (giving me the opportunity to keep or remove them). They don't.

X.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(6,213 Views)

BTW, where can these CARs be looked up? No luck to find them with NI's search engine...

Thanks,

X.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(6,207 Views)

Hi Xavier,

You can keep an eye out for CAR numbers in the known issues lists as they are published with software patches and releases, but especially in the bug fixes lists to see if a specific CAR has been remedied in that release.

- Greg J

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(6,152 Views)

@Greg_J wrote:

Hi Xavier,

You can keep an eye out for CAR numbers in the known issues lists as they are published with software patches and releases, but especially in the bug fixes lists to see if a specific CAR has been remedied in that release.

- Greg J

Greg, neither of those lists contain references to issues within Vision Development Module... 

If you are looking for a similar style list for Vision, the only location these are currently published is in the release notes for each release, such as here:

http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/vision/Vision%20Development%20Module/2010/readme.html

Also, I found reference to a VDM-specific known issues list here:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/11942

Eric

Message 8 of 21
(6,148 Views)

Hello Everyone,

CAR 148616 has been fixed in LabVIEW 2011.  You can find it in the LabVIEW 2011 Bug Fixes.

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
Message 9 of 21
(5,847 Views)

In Vision 2011 SP1 64-bit, right-click appplication shortcut menu item does not trigger a 'Shortcut Menu Selection (App)' event for me (development environment).  Can someone please check this?  If a bug, was it fixed in Vision 2012?

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(5,743 Views)