From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compressing avi files

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that.  I think i'll probably just get hold of an external hard drive and try writing the uncompressed .avi files to that.  I think i might be looking at nearly 60GB per hour though!

I just hope that a USB connection will be fast enough to write to the hard drive at that speed!

Also, i tried a couple of the other compressors, just on the off chance that they might not demand so much processing power.  It seems that 'Microsoft Video ' and 'Microsoft RLE' work fine at 15fps.  the image quality is copromised quite a bit though.

Thanks again for all your help.  I'll no doubt be in touch again with other problems.

Cheers

Bruce
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,806 Views)

Hi Adam,

I've tried constructing the code that you sent me to compress the files once they've been written and it doesn't seem to work.  My first question is:

What are the 2 different file paths?  I take it the first is the .avi file in it's uncomressed state, so what is the 2nd?

I've just replaced your 'Get filters' bit with a constant string, as i know which type of compressor i want.  I assume that it's OK to do this?

Thanks again

Bruce

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(1,776 Views)
Do you think you can use codec in the same way to compress audio files.
Aman
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(1,526 Views)

Hi Aman,

I've no idea if this approach would work for audio files too.

It might be worth starting a new thread on the topic as this one's a year or 2 old now.

Good luck.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(1,524 Views)