Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cameralink triggering

Hi

I have a Kappa Cameralink camera runnning in Free Running mode into a NI PCIe-1427. I am using IMAQ and Vision in VB2005

I would like to change the camera to Frame on Demand mode (the camera does support this) so that I can vary the exposure time between 33ms(standard) and 200ms.

Can the PCIe-1427 generate the triggering signal? How do I make it do that?

How do I connect the camera to receive the trigger (does it trigger not run on the cameralink cable)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bestbier

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 48
(6,105 Views)

bestbier wrote:

"How do I connect the camera to receive the trigger (does it trigger not run on the cameralink cable)?"

the triggering signal on a camera link interface runs through one of the 4 CC lines (named CC1 to CC4), so you should not need any external wire to receive the signal. which line is used and the timing for the signal depends on your camera model and is generally explained in great detail in the camera datasheet.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 48
(6,079 Views)

Hi  bestbier,

To change your camera to on demand mode you will have to change the attribute that corresponds to it.  You can either do that in Measurement & Automation (MAX) on the Camera Attributes tab or in VB using the function imgSetAttribute.

I do not think you will be able to generate a trigger on the 1427 its self.  You will have to provide the trigger from an external source somewhere.  Once you have the signal you should be able to route it over the Camera Control lines as dummy_decoy described.

Adam H
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 48
(6,048 Views)

Hi, bestbier,

Sure, you can do it. I don't know which kappa camera exactly you have. On my kappa camera I have two connectors - serial interface and modes and balance interface (CN7).

First, you need to connect trigger from framegrabber to your camera with two-wires cable. NI PCIe-1427 have four TTL triggers outputs, so if you will use trigger 0, then you should connect pin 1 from 15 pin D-SUB framegrabber connector to pin 2 (FoD) on the kappa CN7 connector. Don't forget to connect GND too (you can connect pin 10 from framegrabber to pin 10 on the camera CN7).

Second, you need to switch camera to FoD mode. You can do it with software, delivered together with your camera (via serial interface).

Finally you need to generate pulse train for trigger 0 from framegrabber with according parameters. If you will generate pulse 0,2 s train, then you will get 5 fps.  In LabVIEW we can use IMAQ Generate Pulse. For VB2005 you should have according function in IMAQ (refer to functions reference manual).

First you need to start pulse train, and only then start grabbing, otherwise you will get timeout error from 1427.

As far as I know some kappa cameras can be controlled via camera link without additional serial interface cable. In this case you need to modify *.icd file for supporting commands for switch the camera to the FoD mode. Also you need to read kappa manual for looking for connector where FoD hardware signal located.

For getting started I would like to recommend first using external TTL generator instead of framegrabber's trigger and then oscilloscope for controlling pulse train on the framegrabber output.

Hopefully it helps,

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 48
(6,031 Views)

Hi Andrey Dmitriev,

Do you think you could post how you have configured the IMAQ Generate Pulse.vi.  I am not sure how you have configured it to generate the trigger as all of the options for the Status input are parameters that require the camera to already be acquiring.  If you are giving the card an external signal then it seems like you are just rerouting the already external signal through the 1427.  Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

Adam H
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 48
(6,010 Views)

Hi, Adam,

The configuration is pretty easy:

With given example we will get pulse train with period 100 ms and 30 ms duration on the Pin 1 of the framegrabber. No any external signal required.

It works with 1426 and should work with 1427 as well. 

Andrey.

Message Edited by Andrey Dmitriev on 10-01-2008 10:39 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 48
(6,003 Views)

Hi

I have a Kappa XR2S(I think, I am out of the office at the moment) X-Ray camera.

I think I will be able to figure it out now.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 48
(5,989 Views)

Hi

I finally got around to trying to generate a pulse train from my PCIe-1427.

So, problem, if right click on the IMAQ control and go to properties, I can add a Signal, but cannot set the action to GeneratePulse. The "Add" button for the Pulse section is also greyed out.

If I try the programmatical approach and add the code to generate a pulseit does not generate a error, but no pulse. The output remains high.

I have read that the 1427 cannot generate pulses AND I have read that the 1427 can generate a maximum of 3 pulse. I really don't want to buy more expensive card just to generate a pulse train.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Bestbier

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 48
(5,693 Views)

Hi Bestbier,

The PCI-1427 can generate 3 pulses like you said.  This is mentioned in both the manual for the PCI-1427 and the help for the IMAQ Generate Pulse VI.

When you say the following, where is this taking place?  Is this in VB2005 still? 

"So, problem, if right click on the IMAQ control and go to properties, I can add a Signal, but cannot set the action to Generate Pulse. The "Add" button for the Pulse section is also greyed out."

When you say that you try the programmatic approach and no pulse is generated how do you determine that no pulse has been generated?

Adam H
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 48
(5,660 Views)

It doesn't look like my previous post was actually posted, so I will do it again.

Yes in VB2005, If I right click on the IMAQ control and go to properties the "Add" button under Pulses is greyed out. If I do this on my laptop (no card installed) it is not greyed out.

Could it be my camera file (*icd) that is not correct? - I have a Kappa XR2.

I have a scope connected to pins 1 & 10 on the DB15 connector. When I switch the PC on the goes high and stays there.

Is the a way to make the output default to low when the PC is switched on or the program is not running?

Best regards,

Bestbier 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 48
(5,651 Views)