Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aquisition time of linescan camera

Dear all,

I want to measure the acquisition time for every line in free run mode of Basler sPL4096kc with PCIe-1433. I use Labview 2011.
I don't know which is the correct one.
If anyone have an idea of how to do it, please help me.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,318 Views)

Hi,

First it looks like the camera model number is missing some numbers.  There should be 2 or 3 digits before the kc (sPL4096-XXkc).

Also,  what exactly do you want to measure i.e. the time it takes the camera to fill its buffer for each line, the time it takes the buffer to export to the software, the frame rate of the camera?

Regards,

Greg H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,299 Views)

Dear Greg-H

Thanks for your reply. I use Basler sPL4096-39kc. I want to measure the time it takes the camera to fills its buffer for each line.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,296 Views)

Hi,

The time it takes for the camera to fill its buffer depends on the camera and things such as exposure time.  If you are acquiring at the maximum rate of the camera then the best guess is the line rate of 38.60 kHz.  The inverse of this is 26 microseconds/line.

Regards,

Greg H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,282 Views)

Thanks Greg H

I will try it.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,279 Views)

Dear Greg H,

May you help me ? I want to measure the time it takes the buffer to export to the software and the frame rate of the camera.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,270 Views)

Hi,

The camera can output lines at a rate of 140 kHz, so the frame rate depends on how many lines make up a frame.  The speed at which the buffer is sent to the software depends on the framegrabber you are using.  The NI 1427 for example can transfer data at 250 MB/s.  Once you know how much data is in the buffer you can calculate the amount of time.

Regards,

Greg H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,260 Views)

XuanThuy,

The theoretical throughput of the PCIe-1433 is 850MB/s, but due to the system overhead on a typcial PC you can expect something more like 790 MB/s in reality.  Greg is correct that the buffer fill rate depends on your image acquisition parameters.  There is a good KB on performing the calculations: How Do I Calculate the Bandwidth Required for My Image Acquisition?  There's also a program attached for doing the calculations automatically.  Hope this helps!

Vision and Motion Enthusiast
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,244 Views)