From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

MATRIXx

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Custom Help files

I am working on Custom Blocks to add to a palette. After going through the steps and reviewing the documentation, I am still having trouble with the custom help files.

Steps I have taken:
1. Created a superblock with the content I want as a custom block
2. Made the superblock a component and saved to a file (Blocks.cat)
3. Updated the SystemBuild library to reference the file (Blocks.cat)
4. Opened the file referenced component in a "dummy" superblock and selected "New Custom Block"
5. Set the Parent directory to C:\NCAP  (my working directory)
6. Select the check box for custom help
7. Browse to my *.html file of the help
8. Finish custom block  (name is StdBlk_1st_LP)
9. Create *.pal to reference new custom block (I do not specify help="...")
10. Start a new MATRIXx session and add my block from the custom palette
11. Open the block and select "Help"

Result:
1. Internet Explorer opens with MATRIXx Local Help, specifically:
file:///C:/Program%20Files/National%20Instruments/MATRIXx/mx_71.6/xmath/help/local.html?file=C:/NCAP...
But the area is empty

2. In the xmath message area:

C:\NCAP\StdBlk_1st_LP\help\StdBlk_1st_LP.html

1 file(s) copied.

3. In my working directory there is a file called "custom.hpf" attached as text.
4. In my working directory there is a new folder "hh" with contents: "StdBlk_1st_LP.html"

** Note: that the Local Help area is looking for c:/NCAP/custom.hpfhh/StdBlk......  I think it should be C:/NCAP/hh/...

Draft contents of StdBlk_1st_LP.html are attached as txt.
Is there a bug it the Local help file setup??

Thanks
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(15,395 Views)
Hi Brian,

I will set this up in the morning and post again with my results. I don't see any reports of this happening in general, so perhaps there is some minor, hard-to-find problem here that we can find.

Richard

Richard

Field Sales Engineer, New Jersey
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(15,381 Views)

Hi Richard,

Any news? Have you been able to reproduce the proplem?

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(15,366 Views)
Hi Brian,

I had a problem with my palette browser crashing, I am goign to try this on a different computer today and get back to you.

Richard

Richard

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(15,361 Views)
Richard,

Any news on this issue?

Thanks
Brian
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(15,309 Views)
Richard,

Has there been any developments regarding  the help files? Have you at least been able to reproduce my problem?

Thanks
Brian
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(15,278 Views)
It appears Custom Help is broken as nobody here can use it without crashing SysBuild. I am going to file a report to the developers to let them know.

Richard

Richard

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(15,273 Views)
Has the custom help feature been fixed?  I've just run into similar problems with custom help for mathscript functions and commands.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(14,660 Views)

Hi Ron,

This was reported to R and D (in CAR (#3VM9IHKI) for further investigation and is still being investigated.  Are you experiencing the same behavior as Richard or Brian?

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Steven B.

Applications Engineering 

Message Edited by Bassett Hound on 08-23-2006 11:17 PM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(14,628 Views)

Steven,

My problem is similar to Brian's except I'm using mathscript function and command help instead of custom block help.  Typing help for a user defined function or command opens the browser with the local help frames, but help frame is empty.  I've tried specifying the help as an html file and as a text file as well as just the comments in the msf or msc file.  None of these methods work.  Xmath is copying the help files to the directories indicated in the documentation.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(14,620 Views)