Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NI-RIO 3.5 FPGS Interface C API

Will the newly released NI-RIO 3.5 FPGA Interface C API for Linux work when you have DAQMx installed?

Reading the Readme file for the new NI-RIO 3.5 FPGA Interface C API for Linux, it states:

“To ensure the successful operation of National Instruments RIO products, you must use a kernel configuration that 
recognizes only up to 4 GB of physical memory.”
Doesn’t the DAQMx drivers require a stack > 4 GB?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,090 Views)

The NI-RIO 3.5 will not work on 32 bit kernels with PAE (Physical Address Extensions) and >4GB of RAM, this isn't a limitation of NI-RIO 3.5 but of NI-KAL, this has always been the requirement. It should work fine with DAQmx installed as well.

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,710 Views)

But from my knowledge, the DAQMx won't work if the stack is 4GB.  It needs a stack > 4GB. We have RedHat Enterprise 5.4 running with a stack > 4 GB and our DAQmx and NI-KAL is OK (or at least as far as we can tell). Does DAQMx use NI-KAL?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,710 Views)

Technically, NI-PAL (which DAQmx depends on) on 32-bit won't work when the addressable amount of memory is > 4GB, due to the data type we use internally for physical address, so we're limited to 32-bit. If you have more than 4GB memory, something will fail to load.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,710 Views)

I'm a little confused where this >4GB is coming from for DAQmx, it does use NI-KAL as do all NI drivers under Linux to communicate at that layer, the readme.txt shows the minimum system requirements well under the 4GB limit: http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/multifunction_daq/nidaqmx/8.0.1%20Linux%20Only/readme.txt

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,710 Views)

I believe the confusion is based on system RAM versus kernel stack. As Irwan said, NI-PAL requires that fewer than 4 GB of system RAM be installed/recognized. DAQmx, on the other hand, requires an 8kB kernel stack for its internal data structures.

Joe

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
Message 6 of 7
(3,710 Views)

My apologies.  Joe is correct.  I confused stack size and RAM size.  I did not read the Readme file correctly.

Thanks Joe!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,710 Views)