From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx for Linux Labview 2009?

I have Labview 2009 installed on OpenSuse 11.2 (I also understand there might be some issues with this distro and NIKAL 1.10). I need to install the DAQmx driver in order to be able to utilize my Analog Out and Digital I/O cards, NI6704 and PXI 6509, respectively. However, apparently the latest DAQmx driver (8.0.1) only supports up to Labview 8.6. Does this mean that I have no other available drivers around?

My last resort right now would be to call NI and request an older version of Labview 8.6 for Linux, but I would like to see if there are any other options before I do that.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,086 Views)

There most definitely will be issues with this distro and NIKAL 1.10.  But assuming you get this all figured out than you can get support for NI-DAQmx in LabVIEW 2009 by copying the appropriate files from the 8.6 installation into the 2009 directory.  Note that you will have to manually specify to install the 8.6 files even if you don't have LabVIEW 8.6 installed.  To copy the files run the following (I haven't tested it but it should work):

export lv86="/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-8.6"

export lv09="/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2009"

cp -r ${lv86}/examples/DAQmx ${lv09}/examples
cp -r ${lv86}/examples/instr/niDMM ${lv09}/examples/instr
cp ${lv86}/help/lvdaqmx* ${lv09}/help
cp -r ${lv86}/help/html/*daqmx* ${lv09}/help/html
cp -r ${lv86}/menus/Categories/Measurement/_DAQmx ${lv09}/menus/Categories/Measurement
cp ${lv86}/menus/Categories/Measurement/daqmx.mnu ${lv09}/menus/Categories/Measurement
cp -r ${lv86}/vi.lib/DAQmx ${lv09}/vi.lib
cp ${lv86}/resource/objmgr/daqmx.rc ${lv09}/resource/objmgr
cp ${lv86}/resource/objmgr/daqmx.rch ${lv09}/resource/objmgr
cp ${lv86}/resource/objmgr/filter.vi ${lv09}/resource/objmgr

Let me know if you run into any issues with this procedure.

Regards,

Neil S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,531 Views)

Hey Neil,

Replace $(lv09) and $(lv86) with ${lv09}, ${lv86}.  $(foo) is equivilent to `foo` and will try to execute foo.

--

Shawn

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,531 Views)

Shawn,

Thanks...Nice catch, I fixed it.  I guess I was half asleep this morning or something.

Neil

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,531 Views)

Thanks Neil,

I'll go try this method and let you know how it goes.

I hope it works! (fingers crossed)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,531 Views)