LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Has taskbar button" Windows 7

I'm having trouble with the "Has taskbar button" panel attribute in Windows 7.  I didn't have this problem in earlier versions of Windows.  If I select, ""Has taskbar button" for a panel, then Windows 7 gives me TWO taskbar buttons.  But if I don't select, "Has taskbar button," and if my gui displays a second panel, and the first panel is minimized, then the first panel cannot be un-minimized.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,507 Views)

Hello,

I'm facing this problem too (as"complain" feedback from users), unfortunately I haven't found any workaround.

Maybe I try to reply "This isn't a bug, it's a feature!" ;-).

George

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,483 Views)

Hello,

It seems like this may be a similar issue to a previous forum post. I have included a link to that forum below and I hope it helps!

ATTR_TASKBAR_BUTTON_TEXT: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/ATTR-TASKBAR-BUTTON-TEXT/m-p/2113512

Regards,

Jason D

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,451 Views)

Jason, Thanks for trying, but no, that's not the same issue at all.  My issue is with ATTR_HAS_TASKBAR_BUTTON, in that although I get different results depending on the setting of this attribute, both of the two options produce problems.  I am still seeking a solution or workaround for EITHER of the two problems:

1) When the attribute is set to 1, Windows 7 shows TWO taskbar buttons for only ONE panel.

2) When the attribute is set to 0, and when a second panel is displayed, and the first panel is minimized, the first panel can never be unminimized.

George, thanks for commiserating.

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,427 Views)

Josh,

Both of your problems can be easily solved, but it helps greatly if you understand how taskbar buttons and CVI panels are supposed to work together. In the default state we create one taskbar button when your application starts and every panel you create shares this one button. The worked great until Microsoft decided to expand taskbar button grouping causing the actual application taskbar button to become somewhat hidden. If you move your mouse over your application's button, then a smaller window will appear that contains the actual app taskbar button. If you right click this button then there are menu items to unminimize any minimized panels.

If you don't want this behavior and would prefer a more Windows like behavior then you can use the panel attribute ATTR_HAS_TASKBAR_BUTTON to turn on taskbar buttons for each of your panels and use the system attribute ATTR_TASKBAR_BUTTON_VISIBLE to hide the applications taskbar button.

We would like to change the default behavior to be 1 button per panel and none for the application but we haven't come up with a good and painless transistion plan yet.

Michael

NI

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,416 Views)

Dear Michael,

Thanks for trying, but neither of your suggested solutions worked for me.  When I right click on the app taskbar button, I do get a menu item for my application, but when I select this menu item, rather than unminimizing my application's existing window as desired, this button starts a whole new instance of my application, while the original instance remains minimized.

The same thing happens when I use the panel attribute ATTR_HAS_TASKBAR_BUTTON to turn on taskbar buttons for each of my panels and use the system attribute ATTR_TASKBAR_BUTTON_VISIBLE to hide the applications taskbar button.

So, I'm still stymied.

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,401 Views)

Josh,

I don't think I described what I meant to right click on very well so I saved a screen shot of what I meant.

Michael

NI

Message 7 of 9
(4,380 Views)

Oh, I see.  It looks like that solves it.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,369 Views)

Dear Michael,

Thank you for trying to help me with my difficulty in unminimizing a main panel of an application built by LabWindows after it has opened a second panel.  It is true that the user can unminimize the main panel by carefully following the procedure you explained.  I tried to sell this solution to my customer, but they would not buy it.  The objection is, "How would the user know to do that?"  All other Windows software is unminimized simply by left-clicking on its taskbar button.  The procedure you described works, but is not intuitive for the user at all.  I will need to find another solution.

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,295 Views)