LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to control a module using modbus protocol with LabWindows?

I use WAGO 750-316 modules using Modbus protocol and I want to control them with LabWindows. How can I do?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,128 Views)
I wrote some programs in VB and CVI to control PLC and devices with Modbus protocol. All devices I used were connected via RS232, but I assume this has no effect on the definition of the message to send to the device.

Attached you will find documentation (by Cal Technologies) to communicate with one device: in chapter 2.4 and following you will find the definition of the Modbus messages and some examples of communication (together with the code for CRC calculation and check).

Hope this helps
Roberto

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,128 Views)
The WAGO 750-316 was connected via RS232 also.
Do you have a dll who allow the communication between Modbus and CVI?
If you have one, how can I use it?
Do you have some samples?
Thanks for your help.
Lilian.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,128 Views)
No, I don't have any dll to communicate with the instruments.
I simply added to my code the statements reported in the documentation I already posted, adapted to the specific messages and memory map of the individual device, and it worked.

The real problem for me was to interpret the numeric datas transmitted by the devices, particularly a Siemens S7 plc wich used compact format for numeric values being transmitted.
Another problem was to put the correct delay to wait for the instrument response to come (modbus protocol requires that every message sent has a response), but it was only a matter of attempts to discriminate the correct time delay.

If you want I can e-mail some example to you. In case you need it, write me to roberto.boz
zolo@eltra.net.

Roberto

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,128 Views)

Hi 

I am new here and don't know how to post new question....Anyway I need to make a simple keypad that takes 1,2,3... from the user and displays on the screen like a one number...for example if a user enters 1 it displays 1 on the screen then user enter 4 it displays 4 on the screen and the number is 14 and then I have to use this no in further calculation.... I have made the UI and partial program but stuck here,,When I enter 1 it displays 1 but when I enter 2 it replaces 1 and displays 2 and I need it to take both as the no 12......Any help will be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance.

If you are young work to Learn, not to earn.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,130 Views)

Hi,

if you don't know how to post a new question, read the help; you can find it here

forum_help.png

As a general rule

• don't hijack other's threads
  • start by searching the CVI help and example programs
  • specify your problem such that it is possible to reproduce it, e.g. by providing the relevant lines of code
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,127 Views)