From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cvi 9.0 crash

I realize this isn't going to help the NI developers any, but for what it's worth, I wanted to mention that I had an odd situation with CVI 9.0   For whatever reason my computer completely hard locked and needed to be restarted by holding the power button.   Windows booted up ok, and everything seemed fine, but when I tried to start CVI, it exited immediatly.... I couldn't get it to start at all.  I ended up doing a repair on it and that seems to have fixed it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,594 Views)

You're right, it will be almost impossible to get at the root cause at this point, but there's still a couple of follow-up questions I can ask that might narrow things down a bit:

1. When your computer locked up completely, were you doing something in CVI, or in a CVI program, and if so, do you remember what it was?

2.  Did you try restarting CVI more than once, always with the same result?

The fact that an installation repair fixed the problem suggests that there was some missing file or registry key. Given that things seem to be working now, we won't be able to find out what exactly was missing. But if the same thing were to happen again, there is something you can do that might give us some more information:

1. Run this utility:  C:\Program Files\National Instruments\CVI90\bin\ConfigCVILogging.exe.

2. Under  "Logged message types", select "Info".

3. Under "Log output to" select "File" and specify some path of your choice.

Then, when you run CVI, it should create a log file with some trace-type information.  If CVI runs into any problem at startup, the contents of the log might be helpful to us in order to diagnose the problem.

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,587 Views)