LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview runtime 8.5 need help here?

Having issues with software that requires Labview runtime version 8.5 specifically. What I have found will not install on my computer. Dell AIO running windows 10. The software is a decoder for radio private channel (DCS)

Finding this version of labview is very hard although the new version installs 32 bit just fine, the decoder software refuses to find it. I can move everything to an older XP machine if that is what it will take but not fond of the idea of running 2 computers for end results.

'Q' > Where can I find Labview runtime V 8.5 for Win 10, or does this exist.

Rem:/ Why can't software coders bundle prerequisites with their software.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(951 Views)

LabVIEW 8.5 was released in 2007. Windows 10 came out in 2015. Do you see the discrepancy with LabVIEW 8.5 being guaranteed to work with Windows 10?

While I have LabVIEW 8.5 installed on my Windows system and it did start up in the past it doesn't do so anymore. It could be a problem with a recent Windows 10 update, or it could be a conflict with newer LabVIEW versions installed since. I don't know and haven't investigated as I do not need that old version anymore, but there is no way NI can and will guarantee that its LabVIEW software runs on Windows systems that are released after the LabVIEW version was released.

LabVIEW allows to create also Installers from Build applications and in there one can also select to include the necessary drivers and runtime systems. That gives you a single installer but all the runtime systems can add up and an installer with at least LabVIEW runtime installer included is easily 300 to 500MB in size. Add to that drivers like DAQmx, VISA and others and your installer will get several GB. Much easier to just send out the build app itself together with a link to the runtime downloader, except that link will be outdated after a few years! And download of versions before 2009 has been more or less removed from the system since the new download experience was released that provides a single source for all LabVIEW versions.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(907 Views)