LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I determine minimum system requirements for my software deployment

Hi all,

I am trying to find the following information on a release deployment for my software:

Minimum RAM, Installation footprint on the Hard Drive, Minimum CPU frequency

for both an XP and a Win7 computer so we can advise our customers on the system requirements they need to operate our software.  I could likely get the second one from doing an install, but we are seeing performance issues since the CVI SP1 requires us to install the entire Runtime Engine.  We used to only install the low level support drivers and the standard run time, but we are not able to do this anymore.  I'm guessing that the extra software we install is causing this performance hit and that we must now have our customers upgrade their PCs in order to run the software properly.

Thanks,

Judy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,093 Views)

Hello Judy,

Due to this question being highly specific to a given application, I will leave this in a general sense. Here are the minimum system requirements for the LabWindows/CVI development system:

• Personal computer using a Pentium 1 GHz or higher microprocessor
  • Microsoft operating systems:
    • Windows 7, including Starter Edition (32-bit and 64-bit)
    • Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)
    • Windows XP (32-bit)
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
    • Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit)
  • 1024 × 768 resolution (or higher) video adapter
  • Minimum of 128 MB of RAM, 512 MB recommended
  • 1.1 GB free hard disk space for full installation, which includes the Interface to Win32 Application Programmatic Interface (API)
  • Microsoft-compatible mouse

If you want to get specific, you could use the Windows performance monitor during runtime of your application. This will give you a general feel for what the minimum requirements should be.

Regards,

Jeff L.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(8,066 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to answer, but I know the development environment requirements.  I need a way to take a RELEASE version of my software, build the install, and find out:

How much space the install needs on the hard drive,

What the minimum RAM is needed to run the software (this is the software I built, not the development environment) once it's been installed, and

What the CPU speed (in MHz or GHz) should be for it to run without performance issues.

We have some software we have been shipping for years with only the low-level drivers and standard run time selected as modules to deploy in the build's Drivers & Components screen.  We now have to deploy the entire run time engine in order to get the low level drivers.  This enlarges our install package from about 14 MB to well over 160 MB for the same software.  Since we have included the entire run time engine, we have been seeing performance issues in the software after it's been installed - screens blanking out for a while, tasks taking 20-30 seconds to perform rather than milliseconds. 

I am trying to find out what new system specs need to be in place to run this new installation without seeing these performance issues.

Thanks,

Judy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(8,053 Views)

Hello Judy,

What are the current specs on the deployment machine? Does your application work well on any other operating systems? Is this question in regards to the performance issue, or a space/requirements issue? What are the specific performance issues? What do you think is causing the performance issues?

Regards,

Jeff L.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(8,036 Views)

Hi Judy,

Including the full Run-Time Engine instead of the individual merge modules will only affect space requirements on your target system. Ultimately, the full RTE is distributing the same DLLs to the target system as the merge module deployment, but with more added. The security update did also affect the functionality of the low-level support driver as described in KB 5Q5FJ4QW, but your description of the issues you are seeing is not in line with these changes in functionality.

Another thing to look at is what version of CVI RTE you are distributing now compared to what version you were distributing before the security update. We make every effort possible to ensure compatibility between run-time engine versions, but there are rare cases where bugs are introduced. If this is the case, we want to make sure that the problem is identified so that it can be fixed and documented. Can you be more specific on which functions are taking longer? And are you able to identify a consistency in the screen blanking out?

As for the minimum requirements of your application that you are distributing. All I can advise is that your system must at least meet the system requirements of the CVI Run-Time Engine (the same requirements for running the CVI environment). We do not have a method for identifying any requirements created by your application.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,015 Views)

Nevermind that, I can see that this conversation is already taking place here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/Performance-issues-CVI-2010/td-p/1994647. Let's keep it there in one forum thread.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(8,010 Views)