LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing color in a Strip Chart

I am still using LabWindows/CVI version 8.5.  My license for it allowed me to install 8.5.1, but the download is no longer available, so 8.5 is it. I've used LabWindows/CVI from the very early days, nearly 20 years.  Along the way I added a feature to our application where the operator could click a button and the trace color in the strip chart would change, with the points already plotted remaining in the original color.  See attached graphic.  At some point, this feature no longer worked.  Now, when I change the color attribute of the trace it changes for the points already plotted, changing the color for the entire chart; either all blue or all red.  Is there any information on what changed, why it changed, and if there is any chance of getting it back?  I have a related question that I'll post as a separate thread (see Can't plot to multiple traces).

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,791 Views)

I remember this behavior changing at a certain point as well. The new behavior makes more sense (one trace = one color), but the old one was useful if you wanted to convey information itself in the color changes (like the time when the trace was in the red and the time it was in the green).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,787 Views)

Looks like CVI 8.5.1 is still around:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/3310/lang/en

Any older and you've got to poke around the FTP site.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,780 Views)

I appreciate the effort, but it still isn't available.  The only link to download is for a 30-day trial of the latest version, 2012.  Even found ftp.ni.com and found LabWindows/CVI, but it is 8.5.0.  I'll have to live with 8.5.0; I figure that 8.5.1 is a small incremental change anyway.  We're such a small outfit, we don't have the capital to invest in the latest version.

Thanks to all for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,764 Views)

Hi,

CVI 8.5.1 is available at ni.com/downloads/products. You must have a valid serial number registered with your ni.com profile to access the download. If you cannot access this, then let me know and I can help you get the correct version.

In CVI 8.5 we did change this behavior. It was actually a bug that this was possible to begin with. Unfortunately, it appears some users were taking advantage of the bug. If you like this behavior, then I recommend suggesting it as a feature on the CVI Idea Exchange.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,738 Views)

Thank you for the information.  I was able to find a way to accomplish what I need from the other post; the best I'll be able to do is to have one of the traces flat-line on top of the other at the zero point on the y-axis, but that will work.

I can't seem to get to the 8.5.1 download, and I would appreciate your assistance with that.  When I click on the link I get a screen to search for it, but I don't get to a download screen.  I also see a link to "Register your serial number ... to access previous versions".  When I click on that, it takes me to My Products, where two are listed (I assume one is 8.5.0 and the other 8.5.1), but with both, I can click on the Products Actions and only get either Request Technical Support or Unregister Product (see attachment).  If I click on the name "LabWindows/CVI Full Development System for Windows", it takes me to a screen with manuals, drivers, tutorials, etc, but no software.

The webform isn't accepting the attachment.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,729 Views)

I've sent you a private message. I can work with you offline to get the 8.5.1 version.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,722 Views)