From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless switch daq

I am interested in using a wireless switch to indicate whether a device is holstered/unholstered. I found the following switch which I think would meet my needs. http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod3447901&CATID=304722&skuid=sku3446744&V=G&ec=frgl_559044&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku3446744

How do I tap into the on/off state of the light receiver and input that data into labview? Obviously when the switch is on, the receiver circuit outputs a voltage. How can I measure this voltage & input it into labview? What data acquisition card do I need and is there anything else I need to convert this voltage/lack of voltage into something the daq can read & understand?

Thank you.

-Adam 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,304 Views)

Hi Adam,

I like the way you think!  I once modified a cheap programmable appliance timer to switch AC based on a parallel-port output pin (using LabVIEW, of course.)

I expect if you crack-open and probe-around in the "light receiver" you'll find some TTL level signal that indicates whether the light is on or not.  BE CAREFUL to identify and stay-away-from the AC side of things!!!  Also, while probing, be very very careful not to accidentally short-together any signals - especially neighboring pins on ICs. Smiley Wink

If you're lucky, you'll be able to (find and) wire such signal to a PC parallel-port input without affecting the operation of the light. 

I think appropriate voltages for the parallel port are 0-5V DC.  If you find a signal in the -12 to +12V range, consider using a COM port instead. 

You can find examples on this forum to use VISA to read parallel port signals  or COM port signals.

Luck/Cheers!

Message Edited by tbd on 12-03-2008 10:59 PM
"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
Message 2 of 2
(2,286 Views)