LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web publishing tool on XP Embedded

I've used the Web Publishing tool in LabVIEW 8.6.1 to create web pages for two of my VI's.  Works fine when the VI's are running on a computer with XP Pro.  I'm hoping to target a system running XP Embedded.  Not too surprisingly, it isn't working.  I realize that each XPEmbedded OS image is unique, but I was wondering if anyone had some general guidelines about what might be missing and whether there are some quick things to add that might make it work.  On the Embedded computer, I have installed the LV RTE, but not full LabVIEW.

Thank,

DaveT

-------------------------------------------------------------
David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,619 Views)

Hi Dave,

Good Evening and I hope your well today.

What aspect of the process isn't working? (except from the obvious - I dont see an image :smileytongue: ) Do you get an error messages?

The first area I would consult is the ini file for the exe - which I assume you are running on the target XP embedded machine.. but the same applies for all deployments. Here are a few links for your reference about what to check.

Publishing the Front Panel of Stand-Alone Executables on the Web 

Why Can't I View My Executable Using LabVIEW Remote Front Panels? 

How Do I Enable LabVIEW Web Server or Use Remote Panels With an Executable Built in LabVIEW?

Does your deployment work when targetting another XP Pro machine?  

Generally, you should only  need the LVRT engine.. but when I am back in the office tomorrow I can look into the embedded advice - see if any other customers have done this/ reported any issues. 

One other aspect that messes connections up are firewalls - have you got any in action? 

Message Edited by Hillman on 06-02-2009 08:45 PM
Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,617 Views)

James,

Thanks for the quick reply and ideas.

I've set up the web serving from several XP Pro machines, so I have figured out the issues with the .ini file (WebServer.Enabled=True) and the ni*(#.cnfg file.  Also, this demonstrates that the network is working and that firewalls, etc. aren't the issue.

On the XPEmbedded computer, there is no firewall.  The web browser is on an XP Pro computer, which connected just fine when the LV program was on another XP Pro computer.  But when the XPEmbedded computer is running the LV program, the browser just says "Problem Loading Page" and times out.

I installed full LabVIEW on the XPe computer.  The web server still did not work.

For all of these reasons, I suspect that there is some Windows OS-level component that LabVIEW makes use of that is not loaded on my XPe image.

I have one other symptom to report:  After loading full LV on the XPe computer, I ran the Web Publishing Tool again within LabVIEW.  Although I had already turned the Web Server ON with the LabVIEW Options, the Web Publishing Tool indicated that the web server was off and presented an option for turning it on.  I tried that option, but it still indicated that the web server was off.  There was also an option for previewing in a web browser.  On an XP Pro computer, that option brought the LV screen right up in a browser as it should.  On the XPe computer, it did nothing.  Again, it seems like the XPe computer is missing some networking or OS components that the LV web server needs.

Let me know if you come up with any more ideas.

Thanks,

DaveT

www.originalcode.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,607 Views)

Hi Dave,

Good afternoon and I hope your well today.

I am sorry, but I didnt get a chance to look into this issue today - but its on my hit list for tomorrow 😄

My only suggestion so far is - is the web server running? When you built the web page there is a button to start - does this error?

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,578 Views)

James,

As I explained above, on XPEmbedded, I push the button to turn the Web Server on, no error appears, but the Web Server does not seem to turn on, as evidenced by the fact that the button returns to its former state suggesting that you push it again to turn the Web Server on.   On an XPPro machine where the Web Server works, if you push this button and the Web Server is turned on, then the button disappears.

Interestingly, I do have another XPPro machine that exhibits this same odd behavior.  For whatever reason, the Web Server seems unable to be turned on.

Dave

www.originalcode.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,575 Views)

Hi Dave,

Good afternoon and I hope your well today.

I could not find anything specific about Embedded XP. 

I have the following suggestions, 

The root directory should point to your LabVIEW\www directory (for example: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\www). Go to Web Server: Browser Access and make sure that you have given your browser access. If you are not sure, enter a * to allow universal access. Do the same for Web Server: Visible VIs. (Be aware that by granting * access, anyone will be able to view the VIs and web pages in the web root directory.)

Make sure that you have a default web browser. If you are still having problems, go to your web browser and type in http://localhost. If you do not get an error, it indicates that you have another web server running. Microsoft Peer Web Services is an example of another web server that might be running. If you have another web server running, you need to either disable the server, or change the port of the LabVIEW web server. You can change the port in Web Server Configuration.

In terms of software support, you must install LV Web Services (or NI-run time web)

I would make your you haven;t got any port conflicts too.. seems to be a common issue.

To confirm though, are you sure its not greyed out because its running?- but if the window/preview isn't working - then this is a sign its not running. 

I was also wondering if starting it in code would help,

Can I Programmatically Start and Stop the LabVIEW Web Server?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6816DE13DCE0601986256C02007DEAA5?OpenDocument

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,551 Views)