From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vision builder 2.6 general/tutorial

Hi,

I'm slowly trying to learn the functions of image acquisition and processing with LabVIEW.  So far, I've stepped through some basic tutorials of LabVIEW (check).  Next I installed some NI-IMAQ components and attempted to look at some examples (half check).  Finally, I have found Vision Builder; unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the latest version and I'm forced to use a trial version of Vision Builder 2.6.

At this point, I'm kinda stuck because I can't seem to find any good Vision Builder tutorials.  I understand that the program itself comes with a few example programs, but it doesn't help to much if it doesn't go through each building step.  National Instruments has some video tutorials online, but it looks like the tutorials are with respect to new versions of Vision Builder with differing interfaces.

Finally, my reason for resorting to Vision Builder is because I downloaded some LabVIEW image processing tutorials, but some of the sub.vi's were missing (IMAQ mult, IMAQ sub).  So as a result, I was unable to step through the projects, or observe how they functioned.  I downloaded Vision Builder because someone mentioned that it might update my .vi library so I could run these image processing programs.  But now I'm still unable to run these programs, and I have another program that I need to learn.

Does anyone have any recommendations of tutorial sites, or pages that might help get me started with Vision Builder?  Or possibly any general suggestions about how to go about programming a vision processing program (maybe I'm not understanding the process correctly)?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,195 Views)
Well it looks like no one replied to this post.

Just for a future reference (if anyone else has a question like this)

I called National Instruments and talked with one of their applications engineers.  This description of the products helped me get a better understanding of how each one works, etc.

LabVIEW is Lower level programming that involves customization of user interfaces, peripheral device control, and data manipulation.  LabVIEW is the center piece of the National Instruments software that will integrate code from other NI products.

IMAQ is a supplemental package that can be added on to LabVIEW for additional functionality.  IMAQ provides LabVIEW with a library of image acquisition functions.

Vision Assistant functions much like LabVIEW itself.  The Vision Assistant provides the user with image processing functions which clean/restore/manipulate an image so that it can be handled in LabVIEW or the Vision Builder.  Vision Assistant code can be exported so that it can be handled by LabVIEW.

Vision Builder is a complete control/programming module in and of itself.  The program interface provides a high level programming design which controls the image acquisition, all the way through the image processing.  Vision Builder also contains the Vision Assistant.

Vision Development Module is a combination of the Vision Assistant and the Vision Builder.  First off, the module provides LabVIEW with an extensive library that contains many of the image processing functions that is included with Vision Assistant.  Secondly, the program also has an embedded Vision Builder program, that gives the user the option of a provided UI, or self developed UI through LabVIEW.  The Vision Development Module is a complete package of vision acquisition and processing software.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,185 Views)
You can take from http://www.ni.com/vision/ that NI distinguishes their Vision software packages in "programming" and "configuration". With Vision Builder for Automated Inspected, you have a "configuration" software that does not include the VIs you are missing.  These are included in the Vision Development Module.
Regards, Guenter
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,186 Views)

Hi system.

I am a student started out my proj which need to use NI Vision builder. I too, face a problem as you. How do it start? There wasnt much tutorials unlike labview, but there are some guide which shows a little on vision. The explaination is good too, as the name/term of software used might be misleading for a beginner. However i had mange to work out a far bit in the builder.

I do face another problem after successfully located the obj in the NI Vision builder, i tried to export to labview. There are many VI files and library file. I need to use the x,y coordinate to do a control. Which VI should i use to get the co ordinate position? Does anyone knows?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,129 Views)

khsay,

I am not sure that I fully understand your question.  Do you want to click on an image display and return the coordinates of where you clicked?  The more detail you can give me on what you want to do, the better I can help you.  Thanks.

Chris
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,113 Views)
Hi Chris.

Thanks for offering your help. Currently, I need to track an object and obtain the value of the co-ordinates(centre). I would then use the co-ordinates to control the cursor of my mouse in a flash program. In fact, my question is how do I 'transfer' the xy-value to my labview program(my labview progm will move the cursor according to the input value).

Currently, I am using NI Vision builder AI 2.6 to track the obj using a balser IEEE 1394 camera. After I had exported the script to VI(Labview 8.0), I am not sure how to link them to my labview prgm. Is there any other ways of sharing the data? Through the internet?

Rgds,
khsay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,098 Views)
Sorry. my email is

p0419635@sp.edu.sg
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,095 Views)

Hi khsay,

Do you want to share data between VBAI and LabVIEW with they are both running at the same time?  This would not be necessary if you build LabVIEW code from a VBAI script.  When you build LabVIEW code, it will contain all of the functionality of the VBAI script from which it was built, and you shouldn't have to worry about sharing data between the two programs.

Chris
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,078 Views)
Hi Chris

thank for your help. Is there any examples/samples which i could refer to?

khsay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,059 Views)
khsay--

There really is not any examples for Vision Builder (VBAI) since it is a sequencial, one image in-out program.  If you are having trouble with Vision Builder please refer to the help.  This should explain the basics of using VBAI and answer any questions that you have.  In order to translate this to LabVIEW code under tools there is an option "Migrate Code to LabVIEW"  In LabVIEW there are a lot of examples about everything.  Go to help menu and select "Find Examples"  and there is also a lot of information in the LabVIEW help about using that.  If you are new to LabVIEW I would suggest going and checking out our website.  Specifically, there is a 3 hour and 6 hour selp-paced tutorials for using LabVIEW.  Also, you can search support and developer zone which have an incredibly vast amount of information.  Anyway, hope that helps. 

John H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,031 Views)