LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vi backwards compatibility

Hello,

I am conducting research for a professor in the chemical engineering department at the University of Maine.  For this project I wrote a vi to calibrate and control heaters used in a chemical vapor deposition system.  Unfortunately, the vi was written using my personal copy of labview 8.6, while the university computers are running 8.2.  I would like the vi to be both run and edited on the university computers, but when I transfer it over to them I get an error message saying that they are incompatible.  Is there any way that I can save my vi in a format that can be recognized by the previous versions of labview?

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,914 Views)

In each version there is the capability to save to the previous version, which in this case would be 8.5. The it would have to be opened in 8.5 and saved for the previous version, which, not obviously, is 8.2. Of course this is dependant on the original (8.6) not using functions unavailable in the previous versions.

If you don't have the intermediate version and the vi isn't too large or requiring toolkits that aren't part of the "plain vanilla" developers package, and you don't mind the world seeing it, it can usually be posted here and someone can make the conversions. 

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,907 Views)
No problem.  Open your VI using 8.6.  Select "Save As".  Under "Save As", choose "Save for previous version".  A list of previous versions will appear.  Select 8.2.  Save your files.  Done!
Message 3 of 6
(2,903 Views)
Message Edited by jcarmody on 03-31-2009 11:32 AM
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 4 of 6
(2,902 Views)

Oops, my bad, I was distracted when I wrote that, was giving my standard answer for going the other way, had forgotten that the newer versions can go back more than one version. Of course the parts about compatibility still apply.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,894 Views)

The "Save for Previous Version" is actually quite a nice feature, as it will also automatically convert any open instrument drivers you may be using into the appropriate version.  So anything used that was not part of the base package of LabVIEW (or is closed) will be automatically converted and placed in the folder you specify.

Still, one can't help but desire a more cross-the-major-release version of a VI.  Is there a compatibility mode you can work in that gaurentees everything you produce is good for LabVIEW 8.0+?  If not, that seems like a good feature to get into future releases of LabVIEW.

There is almost always a case where someone posts an example in response to a thread on these forums, and the follow up question is "can I get that in version 8.x"?  This could be avoided if more users post what LabVIEW version they are in from the OP.

Message Edited by Nickerbocker on 03-31-2009 10:50 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,885 Views)