LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using SSD and cRIO

Hei,

I have an application where I want to save some data in runtime from cRIO to to the SSD (solid state disk). The problem is that the disk supports exFAT and NTS file systems, but not FAT32 and becuase of that Labview/cRIO doesn't recognize the disk. I have meade it work with the usb stick, but the reading is to slow and it stops after a minute, because of the buffer overflow. Also tried to format it in cmd promp, but it doesn't go well.

Is there a way around?

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,499 Views)

Hmmm, I thought it could work with FAT32...

I found this FAQ that says:

On VxWorks, the only supported structure is FAT32.
For LinuxRT, external USB drives can be FAT32 (for raw NAND devices UBIFS is accepted).

Oops, misread your problem, looks like you're out of luck unless you can reformat. How are you connecting to the SSD? If it's like some of the ones I've worked with in the past you may need a SATA adapter that has a seperate pigtail for power. Sometimes they won't let you do much until you supply the extra power that USB can't provide.

There's a reason for the different harddrive formats. NTFS is the Windows file system and is optimized to work with the Windows operating system, not file storage. It's good at a lot of reading and writing over and over.

exFAT is similar to NTFS and is a propitiatory file system created by Microsoft for flash drives in situations where NTFS is not feasible due to its data structure overhead or file size limit of FAT 32. (bigger better version of NTFS)

FAT, short for File Allocation Table, is the most compatible format for storing data, which is why the cRIO supports FAT32.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,492 Views)

Hei James,

thansk for explaining me about the harddrive formats.

"How are you connecting to the SSD?"

It's connected through the USB to cRIO.

I think I don't need a sata adapter or ...?

" looks like you're out of luck unless you can reformat"

I really hope not and yes I can not format to SAT32. I am still waiting that somebody will show some Labview magic 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,380 Views)

Hei, 

so there is no hope left. Is it possible to use the ssd without FAT32?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,327 Views)

What have you tried formatting it with?

You should be able to format it with FAT32, but the default tool may not let you.

Have you tried using any third party formatting tools?

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,294 Views)