From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI MAX VISA Alias Question...

Solved!
Go to solution

Got an issue:

I have hooked up two USB I2C boards to a PXI rig. The two items have appeared in NI MAX with their serial numbers. I rename their VISA aliases to "I2C" and "IC2_ST".

Sometime later one of them stops working.

I replace the broken one for a new one.

NI MAX shows the new device.

I try to rename the new I2C VISA alias to "I2C", but NI MAX errors because the "I2C" is already allocated.

I cannot remove "I2C" without plugging in the old board (which is broken in this scenario). so how do I remove the "I2C" alias without plug in the board?

I am await of the "Reset Configuration Data", but this will reset all the aliases. There must be a better way?

NI MAX version 5.3.1

Thanks.

Christopher Povey

Principle Test Systems Engineer for BAE Systems.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,043 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChristopherPovey

ChristopherPovey a écrit :

Got an issue:

I have hooked up two USB I2C boards to a PXI rig. The two items have appeared in NI MAX with their serial numbers. I rename their VISA aliases to "I2C" and "IC2_ST".

Sometime later one of them stops working.

I replace the broken one for a new one.

NI MAX shows the new device.

I try to rename the new I2C VISA alias to "I2C", but NI MAX errors because the "I2C" is already allocated.

I cannot remove "I2C" without plugging in the old board (which is broken in this scenario). so how do I remove the "I2C" alias without plug in the board?

I am await of the "Reset Configuration Data", but this will reset all the aliases. There must be a better way?

NI MAX version 5.3.1

Thanks.

I have MAX 14.5 so it might be a little different.

In MAX:

Tools -> NI-VISA -> VISA Options
In general settings select Aliases
Select the Alias you want to clear
right click -> Clear Alias

You can then give this alias to the new board.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,981 Views)

Excellent.

Thanks.

Christopher Povey

Principle Test Systems Engineer for BAE Systems.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,972 Views)