From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb 3.0

Does anybody has experiences with LabView and USB 3.0? could the provided speed (60 MB/sec) be reached?

I couldn't find any information on the NI-website.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,260 Views)

Be reached by what device? You need to be specific. If you have found a USB 3.0 device that claims that speed, what makes you doubt it?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,250 Views)

I thought of a windows PC or laptop running LabView. Are there any HW-devices supplied by NI? I would like to transfer data of 10GB within 1 minute from a FPGA-device to a LV-cpplication, possible?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,245 Views)

I don't understand what you are talking about. The USB 3.0 port would have to be implemented on your FPGA device and that would communicate to the pc.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,242 Views)

Are you talking about something like FlexRIO?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,234 Views)

yes, exactly. My question is, if someone has experiences in a fast data transfer between FPGA and LabView application on PC over USB 3.0 including data storage on HD.

I intend to develop such a system and want be sure that the transfer rate could be sufficient, maybe there are some limitations in the PFGA-device or on the PC or LV-application.

Nowadays we have a prototype with USB 2.0 with a very bad transfer rate, e.g. 1GB within 4 hours! and we don't know yet where the bottleneck is

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,231 Views)

I'm probably just a little slow, but I still don't understand what you're asking for.

If you are asking whether you can transfer data from a RIO device to the controller at a fast enough rate, then I believe the answer is yes. On PCI/PXI, you can hit 100MB/s easy and nearly 800 MB/s on PCI/PXI Express with the FlexRIO targets.

If you are asking whether you can implement the USB 3.0 specification on the FPGA and then route the data across that to an externally connected PC running LabVIEW, then I'm not sure. I don't know if the FlexRIO adapter modules have the right connections to implement the high-speed SERDES required for that protocol. You should be able to implement a module with USB 2.0 and get around 40 MB/s if you're careful. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,213 Views)

Why not make the switch from USB to Gig-E? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,198 Views)

Hi,

at the moment there are no NI products that support USB3.

If you're simply looking for a bus that can transfer data faster than USB2, then a PCIe or PXIe bus should do the trick.

Regards,

Joseph Tagg

NI Switzerland

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,179 Views)

Joseph,

Is there any update to your note about NI products and USB 3.0 compatibility - even backwards compatibility (USB 2.0 speed)? Many new laptops are being shipped with USB 3 ports and I am having trouble with NI being able to load the drivers. In my case, I have a NI-6009 DAQ board I use for an application - if I plug the DAQ into the USB 3.0 port, it fails to load the driver - hence fails to work.  If there is still no support for 3.0, any idea when that may come? Any guidance would be helpful.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,127 Views)