From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update vi on cRio

Hello,

I updated some vi on a compact Rio, but it seems, it does not take the changes?

What I did, in the Labview project, edit said vi on the cRio, saved. But it seems, when I run the main vi on the PC host, the changes in the subvi did not come through. What to I have to do?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,183 Views)

Did you build a new rt-executable, deployed that onto the cRIO and restart your cRIO?

Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,160 Views)

@Steffen01 wrote:

What I did, in the Labview project, edit said vi on the cRio, saved. But it seems, when I run the main vi on the PC host, the changes in the subvi did not come through. What to I have to do?

RIght-click on the target in the project and select "Deploy".  Remember that the cRIO is not on your computer.  It is its own system that can run completely independent of your system.  So simply making updates in the project does not update the cRIO.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,147 Views)

I did not re-compile the run time.

Have to try deploy again, I think I only deployed the vis, not the target.

I have to put more variables in to check on the PC host main vi anyway, see what happens.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,131 Views)

it says there is a RT target running already, this would be the previous compiled version

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,121 Views)

yes, i presume, that you have set the "run as startup" option

when you want to deploy a new build version, it will show you wether something is still running and give you the option to stop it and deploy,

you can of course unset the "run as startup" and reboot the crio.

the quick and dirty way i came up to not have the startup app, is to ssh into the crio, and delete the following, then restart.

rm -r /c/ni-rt/startup/data
rm -r /c/ni-rt/startup/project
rm /c/ni-rt/startup/startup.*

you will then get an error message when you deploy a build, but that is ok.

NOTE: mess with the linux on the crio at your own risk, you should know a little commandline fu 😉

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,112 Views)

yes, you can then to select to stop. Then deploy again. Then I had to reboot it until the main vi would run it. Hope it did not fall back to an older version.

There are some PID outputs that don't make sense and the PIC vi is on the cRio.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,096 Views)

do I have to send a nother bitfile? But I only updated some vis for the real time target? Its in hybrid mode.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,079 Views)

i presume you have set your entry vi correctly in the build configuration.

my steps are (all via right click on the build configuration):

clean, build, deploy, run as startup (i think you can omit the deploy, but i do it anyways)

then the crio restarts and executes you entry vi.

but it sounds to me, as if you run the vis from your development environment,

and not standalone.

then it might be good to disable the auto run.

the develompment environment should deploy all needed vis (not the ones you call asynchronously) when executing a vi,

but since i almost never use it this way i might be wrong.

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,074 Views)

yes, from the development environment. Dont want to recompile just yet, just try a few changes. Most are on the PC host, but some on the cRio, but on the real time side, not the FPGA. No idea, I read through the reference guide, there was something on network variables. Put them on host PC as well, then it should get them. This would be ok for slow ones I guess, logging once per second. But would be good for testing and maybe the variable engine is stuck

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,055 Views)