LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uninstall labview runtime 8.5

I installed the full (97 MB!!) LV 8.5 run time on a XP machine.  I want to see if my application might work with the smaller (24 MB) LV 8.5 run-time so I want to first uninstall the bigger run-time and then install the smaller one.  The problem is that the LV8.5 run-time doesn't appear in "Add/remove programs" -not in the main list or under NI software.  Following previous posts I also directly ran the NIuninstaller.exe in \program files\national instruments\shared with the same result - no item even remotely mentions labview 8.5.  Note - I know that version run time is installed correctly because my exe works and I can find it's folder under program files\national instruments\shared\labview run-time.

So two questions:
1- how to uninstall? I would like to do a proper uninstall and not just delete the folder.

2-In case I can't do this maybe someone can tell me the chances of the smaller run-time engine workng.  My app doesn't use any NI hardware.  The notes which describe the two installers say the smaller installer is for viewing remote panels in browsers but seems to leave the door open that other applicatoins might work with it. Can anyone say definitively that the smaller runtime ONLY works for remote panels in browsers?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(10,493 Views)
All NI software can be changed by selecting the "National Instruments Software" and select change in the software management console.
Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(10,490 Views)
If you mean use Add/Remove programs, select National Instruments Software, then highlight the item to remove - my orignal post explained very clearly that LV 8.5 run-time is not in the list.  If you mean something else please explain.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(10,482 Views)

DrMike,

NI LabVIEW Run-Time 8.0 and later can be removed in a different way.

1. Delete the 8.5 folder from C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\
  2. Run msiblast.exe (attached)
  3. Delete the following entry:
      NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 8.2
  4. Restart your PC

You now should be able to install the smaller Run-Time engine for 8.5.

Brian Taraba
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(10,444 Views)
Thanks Brian, that sounds like what I need.  But I just want to be sure of something before a run the msiblast.exe: I want to just uninstall the LV 8.5 run-time and leave all my other labview versions and run-times (6.0,6.1, 7.0,7.1, 8.2) alone.  Does this blaster let me pick from just LV8.5 run-time from a list and leave everything else alone?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(10,440 Views)
Yes you will be able to select the individual components.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(10,434 Views)
You can uninstall the Runtime Engine (RTE) by launching the installer again. This will bring up the installer in "maintenance mode" and it will provide an option to uninstall the runtime engine.  For the standard installer, select each of the features in the tree and select the "Remove" option. For the browser plugin installer there is a specific "Uninstall" option.

The difference between the standard RTE and the browser plugin is that the standard also includes support for variables, for datasocket and for USI. If your application does not need these, you should be able to use the smaller installer. But as you are doing, I would make sure that this applies to you by testing your application with the smaller installer.

Naren
National Instruments R&D

Message 7 of 18
(10,403 Views)
How to do that in Mac OS X? I can't even find out where the runtime engine file is.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(10,098 Views)

Hi gaga,

On a Mac OS, you will just have to go to the harddrive and find the Library folder. From the library folder, go into the Frameworks folder (Harddrive: Library\Frameworks). You can then search for the LabVIEW X.X Runtime.framework and delete it. That should uninstall the LabVIEW runtime engine for you. I hope that helps!

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 9 of 18
(10,071 Views)
Thanks for suggestion.
I tried that. But when I tried to install runtime engine 8.2, I kept getting messages like "You cannot install LabVIEW 8.2 Runtime Engine on this volume. A newer version of this software already exists on this volume." and the installation stalled.

@CarlaU wrote:

Hi gaga,

On a Mac OS, you will just have to go to the harddrive and find the Library folder. From the library folder, go into the Frameworks folder (Harddrive: Library\Frameworks). You can then search for the LabVIEW X.X Runtime.framework and delete it. That should uninstall the LabVIEW runtime engine for you. I hope that helps!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(10,055 Views)