cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble with functions/controls palettes

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey everybody,

Recently I had to reformat my harddrive and reinstall Labview from scratch.

Previously, when I right clicked on the BD or FP, I would get my functions/controls palettes as a list of text for me to choose from.

Now, I can't get that back to the way it was. First, when I right click, I get only an option to choose a vi from a file. Programming, Math, Connectivity, etc. palettes are gone from that. I can go to View->Functions Palette and i get my functions palette that way, but I can't set it to the text-list only option, and I would really rather just right click my FP or BD. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(3,634 Views)

When you right click and it brings up the Select a control..., click the pushpin in the top left.  From here you can click on View, and then View palette as.  Text is an option. You can also Change Visibe Palettes from here.  You can change the order of the visible palettes by clicking and dragging the left side of each palette up or down.

untitled.JPG

Message Edited by elset191 on 06-18-2009 11:32 AM
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(3,633 Views)

Thanks for your prompt reply, but I am still having trouble. Attached is an image that shows what happens when I right click, and when I ask it to view as text only. Also, circled on the right is how I would like my functions palette to look all over, instead of just in that one subcatagory.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,627 Views)
Hmm.  Good question.  I don't know what the issue is.
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,621 Views)

This is very strange behavior.  Was this how LabVIEW behaved the first time you opened it?  If so, you might want to try repairing or reinstalling LabVIEW. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,596 Views)
Yes; sad times. I'll reinstall someday when I have the time and see if that fixes it.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(3,593 Views)

Candice,

Did you happen to install LabVIEW to a different drive letter than before?  It is possible the paths were carried over(don't really see this possible if you reformatted, but it is worth a shot if you have multiple hdd's).  Check LabVIEW's paths by going to tools->options and selecting paths. From there, you will see a pulldown of different objects and the default paths. Make sure these default paths actually exist and hold the needed data.  If they are all correct, I will go with Burt's previous recommendation for a possible reinstall.

Rob K
Measurements Mechanical Engineer (C-Series, USB X-Series)
National Instruments
CompactRIO Developers Guide
CompactRIO Out of the Box Video
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,558 Views)
they all seem correct and available. Since I can view->functions palette and select "Catagory," I can see them all. However, I still cannot right click and get a menu. Therefore, that leads me to believe the vi's are there and available. So I guess I will go ahead with a reinstall. Thanks for the input. I will update if the reinstall doesn't help.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,554 Views)
I used the uninstall tool and uninstalled the WHOLE thing off my machine, and reinstalled (after a repair didn't work). Ok, I've got the same problem, and it looks like although I unistalled completely, somehow, it remembered my settings! And I still have the same problem. Someone please help, I can't program like this 😞
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,533 Views)

Here is the sequence of events that I do not understand:

I right click, I get one option to select a vi from file (Yuck!!):

1.JPG

Next, I go to the functions view option and select  "Change visible catagories"

2.JPG

It *always* pops up as "Select a VI" as the only checked option, no matter how many times I do this loop:

3.JPG

So, I say Check All and hit "ok:" 

4.JPG

But, when hit ok and come back to the BD, I'm back to the beginning:

5.JPG

and you can go back to the first step and it'll look the same. Nothing is checked but "Select a VI."

It works on the Front Panel! Go figure:

6.JPG

with these settings in Tools - >  Options -> Pallettes

7.JPG

Does this help anyone who can help me?

Message Edited by Candice on 06-23-2009 10:28 AM
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,528 Views)