From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

timestamp rounding problem

Solved!
Go to solution

In a state machine I'm setting the current time for a process as the start time and adding 6 hours for end time in the initial state. Later in the 7th state, i can change the start time and the second/ms value rounds off (e.g. 12:30:00.000 PM) but the end time when changed rounds off to say 4:20:39.333 PM. But I want it to look like 4:20:00.000 PM. What do I do? [Increment value for both are 60, coerce down]

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(4,271 Views)

Attach your vi or a code snippet so we can see what you're doing, then maybe someone can comment on how to fix it.

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(4,267 Views)

tabs-FS is the main VI and 6hours is the subVI used. Look into Initialize and Scheme states of tabs-FS. Other subVIs are too large to attach. Thanks.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(4,265 Views)

For the indicator, truncate the wire value to a multiple of 60 using code, e.g. as follows:

Alternatively, you can change the display format to omit the seconds. (see image)

No need to show the seconds....

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(4,256 Views)
Solution
Accepted by shreya005

Also note that the subVI code could be simplified dramatically.

You don't need to unbundle-rebundle all elements, just the one that changes (hours, top image)

Even simpler, add the number of seconds to the timestamp (bottom image).

Message 5 of 17
(4,255 Views)

@ thanks for the simplification for addition of 6 hours. but the rounding off problem still exists. even though the display format is as required, the exact values in the probe watch window show the 39.333s in the end time. As this is to be implemented for a practical application later, it has to be exactly 6hours, cannot have the 39.333 seconds

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(4,243 Views)

@shreya005 wrote:

As this is to be implemented for a practical application later, it has to be exactly 6hours, cannot have the 39.333 seconds

Did you try the two methods I showed above (truncate the timestamp in the wire going to the indicator or change the display format). If you don't show seconds, they cannot be wrong 😉

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(4,223 Views)

i implemented the truncate function it works. thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,213 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

You don't need to unbundle-rebundle all elements, just the one that changes (hours, top image)

Jim Kring posted a few years ago on his blog a cool feature of timestamps; they support units!

You can set the units for the constant to hours and add that directly to the timestamp; no units scaling required...

(Oops; looks like altenbach commented on that blog, you already know about this)

http://thinkinging.com/2007/06/08/labview-tip-easy-relative-timestamp-calculations/

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 9 of 17
(4,198 Views)

@PhillipBrooks wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Jim Kring posted a few years ago on his blog a cool feature of timestamps; they support units!

You can set the units for the constant to hours and add that directly to the timestamp; no units scaling required...

(Oops; looks like altenbach commented on that blog, you already know about this)

http://thinkinging.com/2007/06/08/labview-tip-easy-relative-timestamp-calculations/

Doesn't mean that old... umm... hands... don't need reminding every so often.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(4,170 Views)