From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time stamp daqmx

So I have a DAQmx Read in a while loop waiting to acquire 1600 samples at 16,000 KS/s.

So it loops on the order of 100ms.

There are no timers in the while loop, I'm just depending on the continuous Read to keep things going.

I want to time tag the first sample in the data every time the loop executes.

I put a subroutine right before and then right after the Read.

When I chart out the difference between the current and previous reading I get variations on the order of +-100ms peak.

I would have expected to have variations of less than +-1ms.

I think put the Read in timed loop.  While the time looks great there appears to be a couple of second lag after changes to the input signal source frequency or amplitude.  Not sure what going on there either.

So I need an accurate +-1ms time stamp for this data.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,357 Views)

Just to qualify this.  The DAQ is an Ethernet NI-9234.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,338 Views)

Those peaks can have many different reasons:

- Parallel running threads preemting the CPU

- "Clock uncertainty": Drift between OCX on DAQ device vs. "system time"

- Depending on the way you acquire the "time stamp": Possibly you jitter within the loops iteration so in iteration N, you take it as the first action done in N, in N+1 as last action. This results to somewhere about 200ms (+100). N+2 is again first action, resulting in about 0 ms (-100).

You should consider to read the data as waveform which contains a t0 and delta t.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 3 of 4
(2,334 Views)

@Norbert B wrote:

Those peaks can have many different reasons:

- Parallel running threads preemting the CPU

- "Clock uncertainty": Drift between OCX on DAQ device vs. "system time"

- Depending on the way you acquire the "time stamp": Possibly you jitter within the loops iteration so in iteration N, you take it as the first action done in N, in N+1 as last action. This results to somewhere about 200ms (+100). N+2 is again first action, resulting in about 0 ms (-100).

You should consider to read the data as waveform which contains a t0 and delta t.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Ditto that!

It is rare that i do not use the Waveform data type.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,330 Views)