LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tcp/ip connection

Hi,

I am a final year student of BE in INDIA. I want to interface MOXA DE311 hardware which gives me thermocouple input on ethernet to LabVIEW. I have seen server-client VIs.How to take data of COM port in LabVIEW? & I want to make temperature control system so I need to send back data for relay operation on the same port. How can I do this?

Please guide me..

Vaibhav

Vaibhav Gandhi
B.E. Instrumentation & Control,
INDIA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,265 Views)
If it functions as a virtual COM port on your system, then you want to use the VISA functions, to open, configure, write, read, and close the com port.  Look in the example finder for serial port examples.
Message 2 of 8
(3,261 Views)
but if it is not showing the connection as a COM port in device manager then what to do?
Vaibhav Gandhi
INDIA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,256 Views)

You asked "How to take data of [sic] com port in LabVIEW?"

So if it's not showing up as a com port, why did you ask that question?

The first thing you need to do is read the manual for the device to find out how you can communicate with it.  Once you know that, then it will be possible to figure out how to do it in LabVIEW.

Message 4 of 8
(3,238 Views)
As u said, we have to use VISA functions to acquire data from COM port... The data which is coming to COM port, is it serial data?  i mean we don't have to use TCP/IP server-client VIs?
Vaibhav Gandhi
INDIA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,207 Views)
If once you install any drivers, it shows up as a com port, then what has happened is that the communication as been virtualized into a serial port.  The driver is handling TCP/IP communication in the background, but has turned the interface with it into a virtual serial port.  So your code would treat is as if it was an actual serial port you were communicating through.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,170 Views)

yes i am using MOXA DE311 card & already installed its driver in my computer....so as u said it will automatically handle TCP/IP data ,right?

I will configure my system on serial VISA type VIs & let u know

Vaibhav Gandhi
INDIA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,159 Views)

You can install LabVIEW modbus driver in your system & provide IP address & port address.....

Vaibhav Gandhi
INDIA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,939 Views)