LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tab control--how do I use same control/indicator on multiple pages.

I am using tab control. each tab has many controls and indicators. I want to use some of the EXACT SAME (that means one terminal in the diagram panel) controls or indicators on more than one page. Can anyone, please, help me?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(8,147 Views)
Unfortunately, there is no way to do this in LabVIEW. The best that you can do is have multiple controls and then update the others to the same state using property nodes.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(8,147 Views)
You can do this by selecting the controls/indicators and moving them on top of the tab control by using the arrow keys and not using the mouse to drag them over the tab. You can end up with some goofy little shadows but I avoid this by grouping them.
Message 3 of 13
(8,147 Views)

hi Dennis,

I tried to follow your instructions but i don't know how to group the tab and the command or indicator...

Thanks!

[Edit] I found another thread where u explain that tle little shadows disappear when the VI is run! So it's not a problem anymore

Message Edited by christophe69000 on 07-10-2009 02:39 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,815 Views)

From the point of usability I think you should change your front panel lay out in such a way that the controls and indicator which are always visible (because they float above the tab-structure) are placed outside of the tab-structure. They are valid all the time in contrast to the controls and indicators place on the pages of the tab-structure.

Regards, Jörn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,805 Views)

Hello,

having controls out of the tab area makes sense for controls that are needed all the time, but for example when you need a control on 2 out of 5 tabs, the controls take up space and have to be disabled and hidden.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,317 Views)

Why not just "Disable and Grayed?"  That way the user will know not to use them, yet it won't lave ugly holes in your UI.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,292 Views)

Yes, I suppose thats one option. Unfortunately, the software I am maintaining has duplicate sets of controls on 2 tabs, and the space is used for other things on 3 more tabs. The problem my users have is that the settings appear identical on 2 tabs ( which are read and write to serial port) but are individual. That means the user will use ,say comm port 5 to read, then swap to write and wonder why the software reverts to comm1.

I am going to try to make the 2nd set of controls read the values from the first. Then they can still be hidden on the other 3 tabs.

I am sure there's more than one way to skin this cat, but I'm just learning !

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,261 Views)

@El_Penguino wrote:

Yes, I suppose thats one option. Unfortunately, the software I am maintaining has duplicate sets of controls on 2 tabs, and the space is used for other things on 3 more tabs. The problem my users have is that the settings appear identical on 2 tabs ( which are read and write to serial port) but are individual. That means the user will use ,say comm port 5 to read, then swap to write and wonder why the software reverts to comm1.

I am going to try to make the 2nd set of controls read the values from the first. Then they can still be hidden on the other 3 tabs.

I am sure there's more than one way to skin this cat, but I'm just learning !

Cheers,

Chris

IMHO, with the new info you've provided, your last idea seems like a pretty good one to me.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(7,243 Views)

@El_Penguino wrote:

I have a similar situation in my code.  What I've done is put the controls that need to appear on multiple tabs above the tab control instead of inside it, as described in earlier posts in this thread.  Then I use property nodes to hide those controls (set the visible property false) when the user selects a tab on which those controls should not be visible.  Other controls that are part of a specific tab page can use the same space when the "global" controls are hidden.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,229 Views)