LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system exec.vi calls in windows 7 taking longer than XP?

Lets see if I can explain this.

We have a fairly complicated LV 10 project with a small part that utilizes System Exec.vi to call batch command files that erases Xilinx FPGAs.  In XP the erases take ~30 seconds each [as expected].  When we run in Windows 7, it takes considerably longer [~1.5 minutes each].  If I create a small VI that only does the erase functionality by itself, it works as it did in XP [~30 seconds].  The only thing I notice is that the impact.exe has a CPU % of 0 for awhile on the Task Mgr when run as part of the larger LV 10 project.  In the smaller VI, the CPU % does not do this.

Sample Xilinx batch file contents:

setLog -file erase.log

setMode -bs

setCable -p auto

setCableSpeed -speed 3000000

identify

erase -p 1

blankCheck -p 1

quit

System Exec.vi settings:

Wait Until Completion => true

Run Minimized => true

Command Line: cmd /c C:\Xilinx\13.4\LabTools\LabTools\bin\nt64\impact -batch C:\Labview\FPGA\temp.cmd

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,058 Views)

The nt64 in the file path to the executable looks suspiciosly like a 64 Bit executable. Is your LabVIEW version 32 bit or 64 bit? Windows 7 is 64 bit? It could be some thread synchronization issue when starting the 64 bit process from the 32 Bit LabVIEW environment under Window 7. I really doubt you are using Windows XP in 64 bit mode at all, and the installed Xilinx tools therefore likely are 32 bit only.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 3
(2,027 Views)

The LV tool is 32-bit.  The Impact tool we are trying to use is 64-bit on the Windows 7 machine.  When we run on an XP machine, we use the 32-bit version of Impact.  A 32-bit version of Impact also exists on the Win7 machine, but it doesn't seem to have the correct cable drivers installed.  I am attempting to fix the driver issue and see if using Impact 32-bit makes the problem go away.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,017 Views)