From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subscription vs. perpetual license

Hi,

I am looking to buy a copy of LabVIEW for myself. I can apparently get a perpetual license or a subscription license.

Does anyone have a link that explains what these licenses allows? I specifically want to know how the subscription license affects binaries. (Can you continue to distribute after the license is up?)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,138 Views)

I haven't heard of a subscription, other than the SSP (standard support program).  That provides access to major updates, support access, etc.  if you don't have it or it expires, you don't lose access to your current license.

I'm not sure what effect not having SSP coverage has on the ability to transfer your license to another computer ID (ex: moving to a new computer).

If there's actually a subscription license (akin to the Adobe CC subscription plan) that would indeed be an interesting thing to hear about.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,109 Views)

@2verb wrote:

Hi,

I am looking to buy a copy of LabVIEW for myself. I can apparently get a perpetual license or a subscription license.

Does anyone have a link that explains what these licenses allows? I specifically want to know how the subscription license affects binaries. (Can you continue to distribute after the license is up?)

Thanks!

Of course read the eulas.   But speaking from experience as the owner of 8-Ball consulting, a NI Alliance Partner. I have experience with both licensing options.

Alliance Partners do have an opportunity to lease NI Software Reference Library.  Actually, it is more of a requirement to remain in the Alliance Partner program.  These leases do expire so at some point you will no longer be able to launch the IDEs or continue development.  Existing work product would remain your IP but, support would be challenging at best.  A lot of NI Software products are covered by the lease LabVIEW is only one of those products but, not every NI Software product is included.  Unless you are an alliance partner you do not have this option.  It is a good reason to look into becoming one though.  There are other requirements.  The Alliance Partner portal has several resources about this program

A typical LabVIEW license or NI Software bundle does not expire.  But you need to maintain a SSP to receive updates and service packs.  Different SSP Support levels exist depending on the software version.  Home license have limited support "Pro" versions have higher support and then there are Enterprise agreements for large companies (lots of employees lots of sw) those support terms are negotiable in the agreement.

Mostly. It's a question of what you're doing with the key and for how long you need to develop or support product.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,097 Views)

If you purchase a LabVIEW Base subscription license you will have the exact same functionality as the LabVIEW Base perpetual license, the only difference being that the license will expire at the end of your 1 year subscription instead of being a lifelong license. More information on the LabVIEW Base functionality can be found at the link below under the "Functions" tab.

LabVIEW Base: https://www.ni.com/en/shop/labview/select-edition.html

Notes for Branch AE:
Please reply to This Post within 24 hours
The US AE is expected to reply to all of your posts within 24 hours. Having this expectation will keep the escalation moving quickly and toward a fast resolution.

You can also use other communication channels: Phone, Skype, etc. to discuss the issue with the US AE. This can help with troubleshooting and quick diagnosis of the issue.

Click here to provide kudos for a post on this page
Message 4 of 8
(8,048 Views)

@Branch_Support-NIC wrote:

LabVIEW Base: https://www.ni.com/en/shop/labview/select-edition.html

Ah! another new product!  Kudos for the link

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,041 Views)

I would like to read the EULAs. (Well no I wouldn't as I am sure they require a law degree to truly understand. But I would take that over nothing which is where I am at now.)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,023 Views)

This is good. I had not realized that the licenses I was talking about were specific to the Base package.

Is there some way to read the EULA before purchasing it?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(8,021 Views)

I found the NI Software License Agreement. The term agreement for Subscription License is marked under "Term License".

Cheers,

Saki K.
Applications Engineer
Message 8 of 8
(7,986 Views)