LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subVI input

Solved!
Go to solution

I have created a SubVI which contains only indicators and a few buttons.

I have attached each of the indicators to the connector pane, however when I insert the VI into a block diagram the connections only show as outputs.  How do I get the connections to become inputs so that I can send data to the indicators?

The VI is attached.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,636 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CHRISINSPEC

Hi Chris,

THINK DATAFLOW! (It's the way LabVIEW works!)

Indicators do output data, so the subVI connectors connected with them will output data too.

In contrast controls are data inputs. So when you need inputs in your subVI you have to create controls!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 7
(3,631 Views)

Indicators are outputs, controls are inputs.  So if you are passing something into a function that you want immediately displayed, create a control that you can write to and then wire the control to the indicator on the block diagram.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,609 Views)

Waaaahh.

Thanks, I know that's what the help files said it's just counter intuitive.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,600 Views)

OK, so I now have a subVI full of controls which display the output from an instrument.  One of the controls displays the maximum force exterted during the test.  How do I get rid of the adjustment arrows and make it so that the user can't change the value?

EDIT:  Never mind, sorted it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,592 Views)

@CHRISINSPEC wrote:

OK, so I now have a subVI full of controls which display the output from an instrument.  One of the controls displays the maximum force exterted during the test.  How do I get rid of the adjustment arrows and make it so that the user can't change the value?

EDIT:  Never mind, sorted it.

Controls like that I tend to just hide off of the visible panel.  The user can't change what they can't see.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,582 Views)

And when the user should see those settings without being able to change them:

Hide the "arrows" and set the control to disabled!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,576 Views)