LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

string control reset button (mac like)

Hi all,

Has anybody ever created a string input control that has an 'X' at the right corner to reset the values in the control. If yes, how to do? I do have plenty of filters for my data in my application and it would be sweet to have similar input reset button as with the most aple applications.

Thank u 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,652 Views)

Hmm, an interesting idea.  Why couldn't you create a Cluster with two elements, String (a String, naturally) and Reset (a Latching Boolean).  I haven't tried making the appropriate Custom Control, but I can envision it ... .  I'm sure someone will give it a shot ... (maybe even I).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,632 Views)

Hey, it works!  It was even easier than I thought it would be -- it's just a cluster, with some appropriate sizing and arranging the elements (Auto-sizing) horizontally.  I'm attaching the control -- feel free to play with it.  

Mac String.png

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,623 Views)

Cool! Thank you! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,597 Views)
Depending upon how ambitious you feel, this would also make an interesting XControl.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,581 Views)
Well I have to admit that I have like no clue of xcontrols. How would that work?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,556 Views)

Have a look at this tutorial for XControls:

Creating New Front Panel Objects with LabVIEW XControls - National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3198/en/

It explains it pretty nicely. There is also a LabVIEW Example that you can use as a starting point.

Refer to the Simple Dual Mode Thermometer XControl project in the labview\examples\Controls and Indicators\XControls\Dual Mode Thermometer directory.

Corinne Doppmann
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,540 Views)

Hi all,

Thanks for your input. At the same time you recommended to so solve this task with xcontrols, I attended the lv adavnced architecture training and xcontrols are part of it. here's the solution:

Thank you all!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,477 Views)

hi again,

the xcontrol I posted some time ago works like a charm, except the key focus. This seems to be an issue with any type of xcontrol that you cannot set the focus via the application anymore. I had the idea of a workaround to use methods, but I didn't got it to work. Any suggestions how to set the key focus of a xcontrol?

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,122 Views)

What have you tried? I would be very surprised if the application key focus property worked. My expectation would be that it would give focus to the XControl as a whole, not controls within it.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,110 Views)