From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sql-lv Free ODBC problem connecting to Firebird Database

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a Firebird Database on our server.  I only want to read the data from this database from labview 8.2.  I installed Performance Microwave's free ODBC labview files per the website http://performancemicrowave.com/sql_LV.html  I am stuck at trying to connect to this database.  Do I need to create a System DSN? If so, how?  I do realize that there is a ODBC package offered from NI, but I wanted to try the "free route" first because I only want to read the database.  Anyone have experience using this set of vi's?

Thanks for you help,

Branson 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(7,123 Views)

- You don't need to create a System DNS but a User DNS. You can do this by navigating to Control Panel -> Admininistrative Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC) and Adding a User DNS.

- The free route should work 🙂 The following is something I have worked with successfully before: LabSQL; don't have any experience with the VIs you have attached.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(7,117 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Branson

You do not actually need a DSN entry at all, if you wire in the correct connection string.

Message 3 of 16
(7,112 Views)

I installed IBPhoenix Open Source Free ODBC Driver then created a System DSN.  Then using LabSQL, I used the Name of my System DSN in that program and got a connection.  Thanks for the help Adnan Z.

I would also like to get it to connect without making a System DSN.  The 2 ways I 've tried LabSQL and sql-lv Free don't allow me to put in the full connection string from ConnectionStrings .  Is there another method to use the full connection string in LabVIEW?

Another useful site listed some general and useful queries in databases.

-Branson 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(7,083 Views)

What kind of connection string are you trying to use?

I have used this method to connect to a mySQL DB (local machine) an MS-Access DB (local machine), and a remote DB (can't remember what type) with no problems.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(7,071 Views)

Its a Firebird Database on a Server inside my building.  Here is the screen shot of the connection string and vi block diagram.

Connection String 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(7,056 Views)

Sorry, I had a few typos.  Missing colon and missing space in my connection string.

Connection String 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(7,043 Views)

I take it from your screenshot you successfully SELECT'ed some data out of your DB?

Is firebird any good as a DB? I had not heard of it until now...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(7,031 Views)
Yes, I did get a successful data set from the database.  AFAIK firebird is a free database that can do many things.  There are books on it, but I don't have any experience with managing databases.  I just want to read certain information and put it into a report.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(7,004 Views)
Hi Branson,
I would like to be able to create, read and write in a Firebird Database.
Do you have any exemple ?
Best regards,
Message Edité par ramses64 le 03-26-2010 03:08 AM
V-F
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(6,598 Views)