LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

software parallel

Is it possible to run the labVIEW software parallel with other software?

With labview i am controlling the movements of a couple of motors.

Now i would like to film the movements with an other program, is it possible to do this? (with one computer)

kind regards

Jan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,250 Views)

Hi Jan,

yes!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,239 Views)

@Jan_Enden wrote:

As long as they are not trying to access the same resources (instruments, serial ports, files, etc), there is no problem.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,205 Views)

Well yes but...

Only IF LabVIEW and the other program are not trying to use the same resources like ports, or measurement devices. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,203 Views)

Seems like a silly question, because everybody is already doing it. If you look at the task manager of windows, there are probably hundreds of programs and services that are running at the same time as your LabVIEW program. More importantly, you can even run many different LabVIEW programs at the same time. Even a single LabVIEW program can run multiple things truly in parallel if you have multiple CPU cores.

How well this works depends of course on your programming skills. A poorly written "CPU burner" program that tries to also use all available memory does not play well with other demanding programs. I suggest to just try it and come back to ask more specific questions if you run into bottlenecks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,193 Views)

Okay,

Thank U all for the replies, I am going to try to work it out!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,119 Views)

Hi Jan_Enden,

Not being funny be there isn't really anything to work out. It should just work.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,107 Views)

@Jan_Enden wrote:

Now i would like to film the movements with an other program, is it possible to do this? (with one computer

So what are you actually trying to do? Have LV controls motors and some other program, as Fraps or OBS film the desktop to record it? That's easy, just run the programs. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,095 Views)

@Jan_Enden wrote:

Now i would like to film the movements with an other program, is it possible to do this? (with one computer)

Of course if you need to synchronize the stepper functions to the movie frame rate, things get significantly more complicated, but I don't think that's what you need.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,071 Views)