From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i choose Labview or CVI

I am a student of automatic control in VN .

I want to learn a language that can help me to progam app.s to control automatic system .

I 've ever read  alot and i see that Labview and  LabWindows/CVI seems to be the best suitable softwares . But i also see that may be they have equivalent ability .

So what should i choose ?     

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,640 Views)

Since you posted this on the LabVIEW board, then of course the answer you will get is LabVIEW.  If you had posted on the CVI board, I'm sure they would say CVI.Smiley Wink

I can't comment on CVI as I have never used it.  Perhaps if you were an expert C programmer, you'd be more comfortable working with CVI.  If not, I think a person would be able to start working with LabVIEW faster.  I can't be sure, but I think LabVIEW has a larger installed customer base than CVI.

Message 2 of 6
(2,628 Views)

Hm, most often, personal preferences have to answer this question.

Maybe you should first learn more about those two products and then decide for yourself.

You can learn more about CVI here, more about LabVIEW there.

hope this helps,

Norbert 

PS: Please note that LabVIEW supports a broader spectrum of instrument drivers and modules/toolkits. CVI has the advantage that it is "ANSI C". 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 3 of 6
(2,617 Views)

There is a factor of 10 differnce in the total number of posts between the CVI and LV boards.

If you will be expecting help from the community you will get more support for learning LV than CVI.

here is a question that would help make the difference for me. Are you dyslexic or occationally mix up letters or numbers? If so then go with LV since syntax does not require letters or numbers, only pictures.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 6
(2,612 Views)

All good answers above.

It really boils down to personal preference.  There's the good, the bad & the ugly in any language.  All languages require time to learn and to learn to code well.

The advantage that LabVIEW has over any programming language is the cult following and superb assistance you can get within this forum. 

Far superior to any vxWorks forum....  😉  

Message 5 of 6
(2,584 Views)

Thanks all

Now , i begin to try both . After 2 months , i think i can decide my choice

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,535 Views)