LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running networked labview apps without root permissions

I noticed that it is not possible to use the tcp vi's, i.e. tcp create listener or tcp open (I even tried the supplied examples dataserver.vi and dataclient.vi in tcp.llb) without running them as root, any body has an idea, no one would like to let the end user use root to run the application!. Is it a labview configuration or a unix one?.
Thanks,
mike_lachaine
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,312 Views)
You should be able to use the TCP vis without being root. This is most likely a security / firewall(on your localhost) setting that is hosing your networking.

You can use "telnet" and "netcat" (nc) programs to help debug what is going on. Make sure you are using ports over 1024, as traditionally, only root can bind (listen) on ports below that.

Are you running solaris or linux? This sounds like something SE linux might keep from happening.

Do you get any useful error messages from using the TCP VIs?.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,311 Views)
Hello,

I did flush iptables, (running on Fedora Core 1), I also used ports over 1024 (8000, 10001, 50000), telnet and nc are not of any help since the app won't run at all. The app stop with "Error 42 at tcp create listener - Generic Labview Error".
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,311 Views)
I found a defora core 1 release and verified your problem (on LabVIEW 7.0). It's because the fedora kernel uses native posix threads instead of pthreads. This changes the behavior of signals.

If you recompile your kernel and use pthreads the problem should go away. (Although I have not done this myself).

We have fixed this for the next release of LabVIEW (I did verify this). It required a change in the architecture, and therefore there is no patch available for it.

What I meant by usinc nc and telnet for testing (without LabVIEW) is to "echo hi | nc -l -p 2000" in one window, and "telnet localhost 2000" in another. If your networking is working, you should see "hi" in the telnet window. But, telnet and nc are not affected by
the npt kernel as LabVIEW currently is.

For now, use a non NPT kernel.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,311 Views)