From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reuse data from the input to a sub vi

Hi,

I hope i can explain this well enough,  i have a subvi that has a string input, it reads the string and processes it. this subvi gets called quite a few times.  each time with a different input, now i need to  call it/run it and have it remember the previous input and merge it with a new input.  i can deal with that part easy enough with a boolean input so i can switch between the current input or the previous input + new input.  its getting the previous input data i am struggling with, i cant read control because it will read the new input i am sending it.  i hope your still with me! 

can anyone suggest a way to do this?  i guess i could use a global variable, but i always hear people say to stay away from them.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,623 Views)

Perhaps a feedback node is what you're looking for.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,620 Views)

I, personally, find feedback nodes more complicated than a "Do Once" While Loop with a Shift Register that "remembers" the previous call.  You make it "do once" by wiring a True constant to its Stop terminal.  Here's a picture (I know, I say "Don't post pictures ...", but I wanted to put in a label ...

Last Input.png

I hope this isn't the first time you've seen something like this.  If it is, just try to code it up and run it a few times, putting an indicator on the Shift Register terminal shown as "Last Input".  If you run with Highlight Execution (the little light-bulb) turned on, it should be crystal clear how this works.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,594 Views)

Thanks for your advice, i am fully aware of using the shift register and how you can retrieve the previous data by dragging down the shift register arrow on the riaght hand side.  i cannot use this in the vi i am using.  i have never used a feedback node so i will have a play with that.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,558 Views)