LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

report toolkit print problem excel

Hello,
I have a strange problem after generating and printing a Word document with the Report Toolkit in Labview . It is no longer posible to print an Excel document from Excel.
It is only posible to print again from Excel when I select an other default printer in Window and selecting the previous default printer again. After that Excel prints as normal until I us my LabView application again to print a Word document.

Are there sugestions what to do??
Thanks Huub
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,197 Views)

Hello Huub,

This is indeed a very strange issue. I have tried to reproduce the problem but I was not able to. The versions I used are: LabVIEW 8.5, Report Generation toolkit v 1.1.2, Word 2007 and Excel 2007. I did the following: I picked jsut and example program which creates a pie graph in Word and as the last command in my VI I let it print the document. After that I opened a random excel sheet and tried to print that. I could print it without any problems.

My questions for you are: Which versions of labVIEW and Office are you using? Also it is not clear to me if you try to print in Excel from excel itself or from a LabVIEW VI?

Thanks in advance for you info.

Regards,

RikP - National Instruments Applications Engineering

Rik Prins, CLA, CLED
Software Development Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,170 Views)

Hello Rik,

I use LabView  8.2.1 and Excel 2003 Sp 2 and Word 2003 Sp2.

The problem occurs when I print from Excel and only from Excel. Other progamma's Word, Powerpoint  and so on print as normal.

It  happens on my development system and also on a system with an EXE of the program on it.

More strange is it  that on another system with the same EXE but Excel 2003 Sp 1 the probelem NOT occurs???

In the Word document I generate with the LabView program, a title, some text and a table is inserted. Then it is printed and the document is clossed.

Thank for your help, Huub

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,165 Views)

Hi Rik,

I did some aditional tests,

In the same VI,  I added printing of  and Excel document after printing the Word document and... this document is printed oke.

After that I print from Excel and then this then working oke to??

When I only print the Word document Excel shows the same problem.

Thanks, Huub 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,161 Views)

addition.

This is the test VI I use.

Greeting Huub

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,154 Views)

Has this been addressed?

I suffer from the same issue....

Whenever I use the Express VI for printing a MS Word template report, MS Excel 2003 stops printing (11.8211.8202 SP3), yes, even if Excel was closed/open/printed before, after printing a report with the toolkit, Excel exhibits this behavior and only Excel, Word and other printing applications keep working fine.

This happens on the target PC using appliction builder as well as on the Development PC.

The only two ways to make Excel print again is by reset the PC or in Excel,

change the default printer to another one, print, and then change back again to the default printer. Note that I'm using printer servers only, not local printers.

If you intent to print again from the LabVIEW application, Excel will stop printing again.

Also, Excel will not shows any error nor rejects to print, you can even see a dialog box appear stating that data is being sent to the printer. But, on the printer monitor console no data is being received by the printer, ever.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,923 Views)

Hello Shinigami,

I have solved the problem by using the default system printer instead, defining it by the Labview Vi.

So do not connect the Printer name to the Print report.vi

Greetings Huub

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,906 Views)