LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

real time system

Hi All,

I have to develop a real time system in Labview.

The scenario is...

From a serial device,data is being sent to MS Access database.
What i want to do is,along withe this process(data being sent to database)
a real time display of the data base is also required.
ie,in the screen we should be able to see the data whenever the data is being sent to Access database.

I am not familiar with real time application so i dont have an idea about how to achieve the goal.
Can anybody guide/help me?

What are the prerequesites for this type of application?
Any hardware device needed or programming enough?
Thanks...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,841 Views)
Hi,

If I understand your question correctly, you would like to use LabVIEW RT to communicate to a database. You would also like to view the data coming in from your target.  Unfortunately, the Database Connectivity Toolkit is not supported on Real-Time targets, however, that does not mean that you will not be able to use any databases on your host computer.  I would have a real time target acquire the data and send the data to the host (via shared variables, tcp, or udp).  Your host computer would then take that data and throw it into a database on your host computer.  You will be able to view the data by using Remote Front Panels.  More info on Remote front panels can be found here.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Nadim
Applications Engineering
National Instruments    
Message 2 of 5
(2,817 Views)

Sir,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Sorry for disturbing you again.Let me explain more about my problem.

The data is residing in a seral device(modem) which is connected to the PC.

I want to display the data from the serial device on the monitor of the same PC.

So far i was fully involved in plotting graphs.So i dont have any idea about my current problem.

Is it achievable in an easy and efficient manner?

(Actually i dont want to link it with the database as the system now is perfect in sending data to the database

only problem is with the real time display.)

Thanks once again...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,803 Views)

I'm not sure exatly what you are asking about. Is it just how to read data from a serial device? If so, then I would suggest you look at the shipping examples. There is one called Basic Serial Write and Read and one called Advanced Serial Write and Read. Data is returned with a VISA Read in string format and then you can convert that for display on a chart. It sounds like a chart would suit your purpose of plotting as data is acquired.

If you could provide some more details on what the device is and how it sends data, more specific help can be provided. Have you already been able to communicate to the device with something like Hyperterminal?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,797 Views)

Thank you so much for your reply sir.

I was trying to read/write data from serial device(modem) and i could by the information you pr ovided.

Now i have something more to ask you sir.

Is it possible to communicate with the serial device using Zmodem protocol?

If so how can i do that?

Thanks once again

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,782 Views)