LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reading for sprdsht..HELP!

hey..
i'm a novice to LV and need some basic help.
i use a PCB accelerometer to get vibration data from a machine(lathe,milling m/c). i use a LDS dactron signal analyzer to interface the sensor to my system via usb. the s/f  that came along is called RT pro. the data acquired can be written by rt pro in real time in EXCEL sprdsht(x and y values of the graph(volt vs time) are appended to the rows in the sprdsht).
can i use this data(sprdsht file) to generate the signal in LV.
is it ok that the sprdsht file will be open at the time and that data will be cont. appended to it by rt pro. how to go about this?

i also have access to NI SCB-68 daq card.. can i connect the accelerometer(pcb) to this DAQ card.. the accelerometer plug end is the cylindrical  type you lock into place by turning(for want of a more technical term..sorry..i'll post  the photo if u want)..how can it be connected to scb(ie if it can be done) which has screw terminals...for temp. reading i find this easy as i just have to screw the wires in place..but wat bout the accelerometer. 

thanx for any help u can offer.

DiPS
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,314 Views)
Hi DiPs,

You have several options when reading data from an Excel file.  The simplest one is to read from a delimited text file, which is directly readable by both LabVIEW and Excel.  For this, you can use the Read From Spreadsheet File VI, taking advantage of the read offset input.  This function can read in all of the data in a file and let you know what location in the file it stopped at.  In subsequent calls to the function, you can tell it to start reading where it stopped the last time.  In this way, you can check for new data:

This method can be used while the file is open in Excel, since it accesses the file in a read-only manner.  Caveats: It doesn't work well with .xls files, since Excel adds quite a bit of extra formatting to the file, and the file must be saved before LabVIEW can see the new data

You can also read data from Excel using Excel's ActiveX interface - this will allow you to retrieve data directly from a .xls file, but programming it is not quite as simple if you're new to LabVIEW.  We do have good documentation on how to accomplish this on our website and in the LabVIEW help - I'd recommend the article Using LabVIEW as an Automation Client with Microsoft Excel as a good starting point, as it contains links to several other useful resources for you.

Message Edited by MattP on 03-16-2007 08:36 AM

Message Edited by MattP on 03-16-2007 08:37 AM

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,285 Views)