LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read text from pdf

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to read text from a pdf file using LabVIEW? I've been trying using ActiveX but not getting very far.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(10,195 Views)

Hi Paul,

I found a similar forum with swveral solutions, see if any fits your needs.

Read text from PDF files:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Read-text-in-pdf-files/m-p/975808/highlight/true#M437420

I would recommend trying ptcoverter, which transfers a PDF to a text file, then, do the reading.

Have a nice day!

NavasMonk
National Instruments, México
ELP Support Engineer
www.ni.com/soporte
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(10,162 Views)

I searched and read through must of what NI has already before I posted the question. I saw this and a lot of other "solutions". I was hoping someone had something a little less clunky. Even a simple access to pdfdoc > SaveAs > Text would probably solve my problem.

PaulG.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(10,153 Views)

hello PaulG

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2163

you can try the above attached link and if you are not able to open or read a pdf document uding ActiveX then there is some problem in adobe reader, you might need to update your adobe reader to higher version.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(10,134 Views)

Hi PaulG,

can you tell what is the error or problem coming while trying to read pdf with activeX.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(10,131 Views)

I'm not having any problems opening a PDF document. I want to get the text out of it.

PaulG.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(10,109 Views)

Hi PaulG,

sorry i am not getting you, you want the text in what format, means you want it to be displayed on front panel in indicator or is it something else.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(10,103 Views)

Yes. I can open the PDF file but cannot get the text from the PDF file into a string control.

PaulG.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(10,065 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PaulG.

I posted something on the Light Side a few years ago - http://lavag.org/topic/12228-pdf-extract-text/?p=73553

I was trying to read serial numbers from a directory full of pdf test reports.  It worked.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 9 of 14
(10,060 Views)

I'm linked to the pdfbox dll in the vi but no methods are listed in the constructors. I can't change anything in the  vi. Like I said I was hoping for something a little less clunky. Incidentally this has to be written in 8.5. I hope this is not part of the problem. Thanks anyway for your help.

PaulG.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(10,003 Views)