cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read spreadshit as string

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi!!!

I want to read the data ( string type) from my excel file. please tell me what VI to use. Is there any other data type where i cn string as array??? And recover it easily. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,475 Views)

Is your subject line a Freudian slip about the quality of your data (or Excel)?

There are Avagadro's number of posts about this subject on the forum, search 'Excel' on the forums or LV examples.

Message Edited by Darin.K on 08-12-2009 10:25 AM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,470 Views)

Are you dealing with real excel files or just ascii table files written using "write to spreadsheet file"?

For real excel files, you need to use activeX, such as described here. Why don't you attach a small sample file so we can see what you have?

... and don't spread anything smelly. 😉

Message 3 of 10
(4,461 Views)

Hi Darin!!

Thanks for reply.I am a newbei for this software. I have information as string data type. I have stored my data in an excel file.I cant retrive my data. Is there any solution for this problem??

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,460 Views)

Hi Darin!!

Thanks for reply.I am a newbei for this software. I have information as string data type. I have stored my data in an excel file.I cant retrive my data. Is there any solution for this problem??

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,458 Views)

If you created the files with LabVIEW, then chances are that the files are not native xls type but just text. If you created the files with Excel, then you could save them as text and read them with the Read From Spreadsheet function. Otherwise, you would use the ActiveX functions that are in the above link. NI also has the Report Generation toolkit that you could use.

It would certainly help if you would attach the code you have written and one of the files so someone can see what is incorrect.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,435 Views)

Hi dennis!!!!!!!

Sorry for late rpl. I m Uploading my files. Will you pls have a look on it?? I have entered data with the help of Labview. Now i want to retrive my data. I have tried ur files. but they didnt work. Thank ya

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,423 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hmdesai

I don't have any problem reading the file with the "Read from spreadsheet.vi" Smiley Very Happy

SNAG-022.jpg

So can you please explain your problem again.

Thanks for that!

Message 8 of 10
(4,409 Views)

That's a text file with an xls extension. You just need to read it with the Read From Spreadsheet File function and set the type to String instead of the default Double.  Read From Spreadsheet.PNG

Message 9 of 10
(4,407 Views)

Thanks yaar. Act it was very funny but i had no idea that i have to change to string type. Silly meSmiley Very Happy

Thanks again buddy.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,399 Views)