LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read multiplexed BCD

Not strictly a LabVIEW question.  But has anyone read multiplexed BCD using LabVIEW?

I'm thinking I'd have to do some kind of digital I/O but if there is a more elegant off-the-shelf solution,
I'd be very interested.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,846 Views)
Hello nyc,

can you explain what a "multiplexed BCD" is?
I know, what BCD's are: BinaryCodedDecimal, each 4 bits hold a number from 0 to 9.
So where is your multiplexing? Do you want to know how to get just the 4 bits for each digit and convert them to an integer?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,837 Views)
The outputs are coming from a digital panel voltmeter the DMS-40PC made by Datel.

The multiplexing comes from that the same 4 pins are used for all 5 digits and there is a strobe signal output etc.

Message Edited by nyc on 05-10-2006 11:32 AM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,832 Views)
Hello nyc,

so you probably get the digits one after the other, separated by the strobe...
Just read the 4 bits, put them into a number, read the next 4 bits (after getting the strobe signal), put them to the next number and so on.
If you do this in a loop you can use auto-indexing to get an array of digits.

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,824 Views)
Yes, it would mean another DIO card for the PC.
I was just wondering/hoping if there was another solution that I hadn't thought of before.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,822 Views)
Hello nyc,

now I understand your question: you just want to know how to get the data from the dmm to the pc! 'Just' a hardware question 🙂

The problem with standard IO card can be the strobe signal. From scratch I don't know a card allowing for a strobe for each 4 input bits.
After reading the pdf from datel-europe.com I would maybe use a simple hardware (with some TTL chips) to latch the data from the DMS. There are some chips available to latch 4bits of data (or even 2 or 4 groups of 4bits). Disadvantage of this approach: you need 20 (plus polarity-bit) digital inputs to read the data in. But otherwise even simple digital IO-cards give you atleast 32 bits...

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,812 Views)
Hi all,
as I understood nyc's question, he wants to avoid additional hardware. Could it be a solution, to connect the DMM to the parallel port and read the pins with the "connectivity"->"port I/O"- VIs. Has anybody experience with this under Win2K/WinXP?
Dave
Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,803 Views)

Thanks for all the input.

It does look like there isn't a drop in and play solutiion.

Now the-powers-that-be are talking about re-design of the product so since there isn't a simple workaround, I will have to make do until the redesign is done.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,789 Views)