From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"runtime engine" crash

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a problem with a LabView executable compiled for LV 6.1: it works without problem on a PC which has just LV Runtime Engine 6.1 installed, but it crashes (without error message) on a different machine that has a full installation of LV 8.5 and Runtime Engines 8.5, 8.2, 8.0, 7.1, 7.0 and 6.1. On this 2nd machine I installed Runtime Engine 6.1 last, because I got the error message about the missing engine when I tried to run the executable in question. After having installed the Runtime Engine, I no longer get the error message, but after a brief moment (before the first GUI opens) the executable crashes quietly. Any suggestions on how to solve this issue (rebooting the PC didn't solve it BTW)? According to the information I found so far on the NI website, Runtime Engines of different LV versions are supposed to run in parallel without problem.

As for my config: MS Windows 2003, Standard Edition, SP2 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,293 Views)

Does the application need specific hardware/3rd party software? Does it interface to other software or is it "stand alone"?

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,292 Views)
It is "stand alone": there is certainly no hardware involved and as far as I know there is no link to any 3rd party tools either.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,287 Views)

Hm, then this is really odd. What about the other LV RTE's? Do they work without a crash?

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,285 Views)

Well, the only other executable I have at hand right now (that was not generated with LV 8.5) is compiled for LV 8.2 and that one seems to work fine.

Do you know about a way to get any kind of error message that might help?

Thanks for your prompt help,

Matthias 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,279 Views)

Matthias,

the second system where the exe runs well, does this also run with Windows 2003 (Server?) ?

Norbert 

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,249 Views)
No, that one runs Windows XP Professional with SP3
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,242 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mlut

Matthias,

then i fear that you are running into compatibility issues with the OS. Windows Server 2003 was never tested with any LV Version.

Reading the ReadMe from LV 8.6 it states:

LabVIEW supports Windows Vista/XP/2000. LabVIEW does not support Windows NT/Me/98/95, any of the Windows Server editions, or Windows XP x64. LabVIEW does support Windows Vista x64.

Since your system runs on Windows Server 2003 (since you didn't answer my questionmark in the last post, i think that is a fact) you are lucky that the newer application runs.

Please note that "not supported" means: it was never tested and therefore it might work, but if not, NI does not supply any support. 

So the only solution to your issue is to switch to an OS which LV RTE 6.1 was tested on; the newest OS i think was tested (although not sure) is Windows XP.

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Message Edited by Norbert B on 03-05-2009 06:48 AM
Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,238 Views)

Norbert,

bad news for me, but I guess you've nailed it: the system in question is indeed running MS Windows SERVER 2003, but since we never had a problem running the full installation of LabVIEW on it, it didn't even occur to me that there might be a problem with the OS. Not sure yet how to proceed from here, because switching machine is not really an option; so I might have to bite the bullet and try to recompile the code for LV 8.5.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help,

Matthias 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,233 Views)